Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrading Server 13 to 14

This topic is 3247 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Everyone,

We are about to upgrade our server from 13 to 14. In the FMS 14 getting started guide it states:

"Make a copy of any database files and shell script files you used with FileMaker Server."

and gives the database location:

"\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases"

​My question is do we need to make a copy of the other contents in this folder, namely "RC_Data_FMS" with all of the externally stored container data? Moreover, after we uninstall 13 and install 14 will we have to move it back to the same location? The guide only mentions database and script files so I was unsure what needs to be copied. Thanks for your help.

Daniel

You shouldn't need to save the other files. As a matter of fact, using the Uninstall FileMaker Server 13 tool, when I installed 14 everything was there. It just makes sense to have all the served files saved on another machine (preferably with FMP installed) for safety sake. Then you can, if you need, upload the files to the server using FMP.

Or . . . Make sure you have a Time Madhine backup of everything (except the database files of course. Never use TM on them). Then you'll have a safe copy of the db files, saved separately, and all the other stuff via TM.

This topic is 3247 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.