How to base Layout on TO and display only specific records

Miss A!

This topic is 3208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

In FM13, I have a layout with about 10000 records, i would like to create another layout/duplicate and display only specific records of the 10000 records already existing on the main/old layout, i have a drop down field that defines the category of the records(e.g, Employee, Ex Employee, Accommodation, Embassy, Car Hire etc) - is this possible, by relationship definition or any other way, how?

First thing i thought of is the venerable virtual list technique where you script the creation of a data set. Google it and you'll see some great resources

Edited by Kris M
  • Like 1

another layout/duplicate and display only specific records of the 10000 records already existing on the main/old layout

​Miss A! –

strictly speaking, you don't have a layout, but a table with 10,000 records, because 

one table --< one or more TOs --< one or more layouts

so any given layout will always (be able to) show all records from its one and only ”base table”; there's nothing in a layout's attributes that can change this (and a good thing, too).

“Filtering a layout” means “performing a Find in the fields of its TO (and/or its related TO)", so you can use your category as parameter for a Find script.

Herr O.

PS: As usual, the more we know about why you need this, the better (in theory …) the advice.

PPS: Nice picture, but too much contre-jour.

Edited by eos
  • Like 1

i would like to create another layout/duplicate and display only specific records

​You cannot define a layout to display only specific records. However, you can use a script trigger to perform a find whenever you enter the layout.

• Like 1

strictly speaking, you don't have a layout, but a table with 10,000 records, because 

​Danke, had my thoughts around this but just - pushing LUCK  :angel:

you can use a script trigger to perform a find whenever you enter the layout.

This i can do but for the purpose of optimising(minimise search pool) search, i wanted to search through a layout with records alike - by layout separation.

Thank you all for the kind attention and guidance.

This topic is 3208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.