Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Reduce UI 'jumping' using Top/Bottom Navigation parts rather than Header/Footer parts

This topic is 3212 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

Just thought I'd share something I posted about over at community.filemaker.com in response to a question there... 

The issue was that FMGo 14 was displaying a very 'jumpy' UI when switching between List view layout and a Form view layout. The list view in particular shows a lot more visual glitches than was ever the case in FMGo 13... What I've found though is that using the new Top and Bottom Navigation layout parts (rather than Head and Footer parts) for both the list view view and the form view layouts that are navigated between, results in a much smoother transition between the two. This is best illustrated by the screen recording video attached here, which shows the same layouts using the 'old' Header and Footer parts, and then using the new Top/Bottom navigation parts... 

As I've began reworking some of my FMGo 13 solutions to take advantage of new features of FMGo14, I'm glad to have found this out, and it is very quick and easy to convert the header/footer parts to nav parts instead :-) Hope you find it useful too....

Edited by Sky Willmott
Embedded youtube rather than link
  • Like 1

Much nicer results, Sky, thank you so much for posting it!  The new navigation parts rocks, for sure! 

You might also find it interesting to use title footer for form views and list views combined.  It's just another tool made available since we now have the navigation parts.

form and list in a single layout

• 3 weeks later...

Sky, I spent two hours yesterday figuring this out for myself. It was driving me crazy. Wish this post had shown up in my Google! Nice job.

two small caveats - with navigation parts.

1. They don't print - so if you need to print a layout for design purposes these parts will be missing so your stuck with changing them prior to print or saving screenshots.
  2. When you have a navigation part you lose the ability to display Page Margins (the option is just grayed out) and if it was on before you added the part it will disable that option.

This topic is 3212 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.