Server sorting slow, same data on local version is rapid

This topic is 3207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there

I'm working on a task at the moment which involves sorting around 65000 records on a data table.  The table itself has many occurrences but I only need to sort on this particular occurrence, therefore my sort criteria (ClientID, Date) are based on this occurrence.

The issue is that when I sort the data on my local PC, it takes maybe two seconds to sort, calculate and display.  For the task in mind, this is perfectly acceptable as I won't be doing it too often.  However, now this has been deployed on a server which is more than up to the task and exceeds the recommended spec, the sort takes several minutes with a countdown of records sorted slowly going from 65000 downwards.

The network between the server and the client is again, up to speed and poses no issues in other areas.

So, what's FM doing to make the sort so slow?

The local sort is fine, so can I cache to a local client and sort from there?

I don't get why the sort cannot utilise the speed of the server or where the bottleneck is occurring?

Thanks in advance

Sort script step is not compatible with server if the Perform Without Dialog is unchecked.

Trying to sort on server does not realize any performance benefits because of the way Perform Script On Server behaves

http://timdietrich.me/blog/filemaker-using-perform-script-on-server-to-sort-records/

The important concept to understand is that when you specify PSOS you send the instructions to the server and the server does what it needs to do in a session of its own. Sort PSOS says "hey server take this deck of cards and arrange them this way". The server takes an exact copy of the deck, sorts the copy deck per your instructions, and says "ok i'm done"..

Edited by Kris M

Do you have any unstored calculation fields on the layout you are viewing and trying to sort? This can slow things down a lot...

Try creating a new layout based on the table occurrence you want, and then place only the ClientID and Date fields from that table occurrence on the layout and try sorting that... Providing both ClientID and Date fields are not unstored calculations, which I'm guessing they are not, then you should see a big difference....

Edited by Sky Willmott

This topic is 3207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.