Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Getting the size of a file ?

This topic is 3185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script that downloads a filemaker database from a container of an hosted database.

Since the file can be big, the download can take a few minutes on a slow connection.

I would like to display a progress indicator so the user can estimate the time it will take.

I currently only display a spinning animation but this does not indicate any progress.

I thought that maybe the solution would be to use the web viewer component with some javascript to regularly check the size of the downloaded file.

Anyone knows if it's possible and how to do it (on FM GO) ?

Edited by sfpx

• 1 month later...

I came to the conclusion that it's virtually impossible using export field contents as it seems to block the execution of ontimer scripts .

Is there another way to download a file while giving the user an idea of the download progress ?

P.S.

What I want to do is to download a fmp12 file and open it once it's downloaded.

Thanks but I know how to get the size of the container.

What I want to know is the size of a file that is being downloaded on the iphone so I can display the progress of the operation and the approximative time remaining.

The file that will be downloaded will exceed 100MB which can take a while on a slow connection.

Right now I'm so desperate that I'm about to test the download speed by downloading a 5MB prior to the real download and display an approximative download time.

P.S.

I realize that my OP was pretty badly phrased and it was not very clear. The title did not help too. 

Edited by sfpx

This topic is 3185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.