FM Server 5.5 on Windows 7

This topic is 3199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We've had an XP machine running FM server beautifully for years. We want to upgrade our databases to FP7 (Server 11 and clients) from a cost and functionality standpoint (I know it's still behind the times, but our current system still works well). The machine that we use is a Windows 7 machine downgraded to windows XP (out of the box). I decided it was time to update the system to Windows 7 so I could start working on upgrading our databases at night (and possibly take advantage of Win10 free upgrade if need be). Took all night to upgrade to 7 32bit Professional.

I installed server 5.5 on the new Win7 install and it seemed to take ok. I had to disable the security notifications (do you want FMServer to make changes to this computer blah blah) and allow FMServer access through the firewall (which seemed to be blocking it from being seen on the network). However, when I go to stop the FM Server service it force quits with error 1067. No error when I start or restart the service. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling off the CD, but it gave an error when uninstalling, so I just repaired the install. I can't find an update anywhere online and I don't even know if the latest 5.5 server patch addresses that issue.

It SEEMS to be running ok for now and I am going to have to deal with it for today because we've got a business to run.  It's been so long since I've actually messed with FM Server outside of configuring backups so I don't know if there are any other changes to Windows 7 settings I need to make. I assumed that FM Server 5.5 would run fine because we have a number of Win 7 machines running FM6 as clients with zero problems.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I need to adjust to fix that 1067 error? Else I'm going to have to reinstall XP tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks

I assumed that FM Server 5.5 would run fine because we have a number of Win 7 machines running FM6 as clients with zero problems.

That's a very big assumption, especially since you have a business to run.  FM6 has nothing in common with FMS5.5, two very very different animals.

Golden rule: if it ain't broken; don't fix it:

I decided it was time to update the system to Windows 7 so I could start working on upgrading our databases at night (and possibly take advantage of Win10 free upgrade if need be).

And if you do want to consider changing your server's OS then you have to test it first on another machine and leave your production environment alone.

You really can't expect old software to run well on newer OSes.  So don't even think about going to Windows 10 in your environment.

As to fixing what's wrong: no clue; it may just not be working properly on Win7.  FMS5.5 is so far behind the times that it is unlikely many people have tried it on Win7.

I would suggest rolling back to what worked and sticking with it.  Get a second machine to install your FM11 on and test that thoroughly before cutting over.

Edited by Wim Decorte
  • Like 1

This topic is 3199 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.