Non resizable button bar icons

This topic is 1753 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It was mentioned here  FileMaker Weetbicks blog that Dylan wanted the icon spacing NOT to adjust if an icon was hidden - so I figured others might want this same functionality.  I do not know the 'trick' which is referenced but there are two ways to do it that I have figured.  In the attached example, switch between form and list view (which is what is used to hide a few of the regular icons).    If you wish NOT to have the gaps, just move all the invisible icons to the end of the button bar.  I was unclear on specifically what Dylan wanted in that regard.  

The second set uses a single empty icon for each 'real' icon which shows when its assigned icon is hidden, using GetLayoutObjectAttribute.  My purpose in object-naming the 'empty' icons is so that they could all be put at the end as well (and it is easy to remember which 'real icon' it references) and it still should adjust the same way (but untested).

The second method, instead of hiding the icon, is using conditional formatting on it.  

Anyway, I hope it spurs others' ideas as well  This is rough and it is very late..  :-)

Adjustable_bar2.fmp12.zip

Edited by LaRetta

Here is a revised example which shows four methods - left justify, right justify, maintain 'holes' using hide and maintain 'holes' using conditional formatting - all while maintaining the original button size.

Adjustable_bar.fmp12

I should mention that you would not want to show the dividers in this instance.  I showed them so it was easy to see the invisibles.

Edited by LaRetta
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hooo boy this is an old one, but the idea for this is awesome !!

using this not GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "button.obj.name" ; "IsObjectHidden" )

The only issue is with the button bar divider and lines that we can't still conditional format ☹️ 

The left and right justify you see the empty button at the end.

Maintain holes works great

Maintain holes with conditional format... button can still be pressed

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.