Work and Order Schedule form excel file HELP PLEASE

This topic is 3175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi I’m new in Filemaker, but I see lot of advantages using this solution.

I have two similar excel one is work schedule and next one is order schedule. I would like to have them in FM. My problem Is to build database which keep the visual and functionality of excels

WORK SCHEDULE:

The main part of this excel (SCHEUDLE) is connecting dates, workers and type of work to do. I would like to keep the visual form of this excel but it should work as a database. Work to do is editable list of work type. At the upfront you can see date, week day and time start of each shift, colors are pointing different line production (usually there are 2 shifts day/night and we have to lines block line and trey line also there are something like work on empting trays )  Below the main part is dictionary to translate contraction ( OL/K is operator of blocking line, W/PUSTE  is forklift on empty side etc. ) and some extra info about production. I will translate last sheudle and add hole excel here.

Also I did some pivot table to calculate how often my worker work on each post. It is on GRAF

ORDER SCHEDULE

At this excel we have similar situation. (I need to delete sensitive data I only keep date  from the last month MAY 2016). On the left side you have clients which are extra sorted by type of product they take (BLOCKS /  BULK / TRAY ). At the upfront we have dates months, days, week number, total weekly production by product, total day production by product. Last row (IV) is total season order for each client. The main cell is fill with amount of product to do. I should be something like popup menu with order details ( amount of product, order specification, transport specification I will edit that later on )

Please help me build such SHEDULES, I can’t figure out how to start ? 

P.S. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

ORDER SCHEUDLE jpg.jpg

ORDER SCHEUDLE.xls

WORK SCHEUDLE jpg.jpg

WORK SCHEUDLE.xlsx

Welcome.   Your request is really too generic.  We're to help you with specific problems but not here to actually build it for you.  So let us know what you have tried and what does not work and we can tackle issue by issue.

Also: keeping the exact visual is possible but you have to shift away from thinking in Excel terms.  Thinking like Excel is going to hinder you more than it will help.

Start with thinking about entities; you've already named a few: schedule dates, workers, jobs,... so start by listing them all and building tables to hold their data.

• Like 1

I agree with Wim, the Excel Mindset can be hard to shake. I would add by suggesting that you look at how an ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram) can help you.

There are several FileMaker Resources out there that can help you learn FileMaker.

Richard Carlton has a good series  called FileMaker Pro 14 Video Course here

lynda.com has a lot of videos and example files, I would start with  FileMaker Pro 13 Essential Training (they have a introductory promotion that will allow you to watch some of them for free) You can also purchase a one month subscription that will allow you to watch as much as you can cram in. :)

FileMaker Training Series here

There are other resources available like ISO Magazine, Database Pros, etc.

AND, of course here, FM Forums. B)

HTH

Lee

• Like 1

• Newbies

Thanks, for reply. I now that this is not a specific problem. I know how to create a normal database like: Costumers, dates, product, amount of ordered product but I don’t have any idea how to show that in editable table like that in attachment.

Can you send any  tutorial , video, anything that show layout similar in function and look like this what I need 

Thanks I will look at ERD. I’m just after a  FileMaker Pro 13 Essential Training

What Wim and Lee are trying to say is that recreating XLS pivot table in FM is probably not the best solution.

It would be extremely time consuming to develop a direct replacement for what you show and probably not the best way to use FM.

Their must be a reason your trying to move to a relational database instead of just continuing to work with the spreadsheet.

The advice you have been given is sound. In addition i would suggest you thoughtfully denormalize the spreadsheet.

That exercise may get you thinking in entities and relationships.

Edited by Kris M

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Ok I found out that I need 2 dimensional array to build this kind of layout. Also I did some Richard Carlton FileMaker Pro 14 Video Course and correct me if I'm wrong but this kind of 2 dimensional array is something impossible for filemaker. (basic postulates)

I didn't found any video or file with such structure what I need. There are some posts about 2 dimensional array but nobody success

Edited by spokowirus

correct me if I'm wrong but this kind of 2 dimensional array is something impossible for filemaker.

It depends on how you define a "2 dimensional array". Normally, an "array" is something you hold in memory or in data storage. Filemaker does not have arrays as such, but the same functionality can certainly be achieved by other means. For example,  you could consider a repeating field or variable as an array.

In any case, I don't see how this is related to your original question. The main thing you need to keep in mind when you come "to build this kind of layout" is that Filemaker is not flexible in the horizontal direction. You can make a layout display as many (or as little) rows as you need at any moment - but the numbers of columns is fixed.

Similarly, while you can pick and choose which rows (records) to show by performing a find, the columns (fields) shown on a layout are fixed.

This means that in order to build a layout similar to what you show, the columns must show calculated data. The calculations (using calculation fields and/or filtering a portal) would be based on some global settings - e.g. which month to show.

I suggest you have a look at the two demos I posted here:
http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/71836-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-in-version-11/
http://fmforums.com/forums/topic/71939-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-4horizontal-portal/

Edited by comment

This topic is 3175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.