documents on server not accessible remotely

This topic is 3214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have documents inserted into a container by reference only to a folder on the fmserver. I can access quite happily as a "localhost" however when i try to access remotely either via pc or ipad(using fmgo 14) i get a file not found message appear in the container. as far as i am aware I have set up the container etc correctly. Ports are opened correctly to allow access, any ideas ? I am stumped at the moment.

As you have inserted by reference then the referencing method must be the same for all other users.

As you did this on the 'localhost' then all other users would need the same folder structure, which is simply not possible between different operating systems.

More importantly though this suggests you have file sharing enabled on your fmserver - this is an absolute NO NO.

Presumably you don't actually use 'localhost' for running your application, but this was just a test? (I hope so)

Realise also that if you could make the reference method work if the file being referenced is changed or deleted then that change would also be reflected in fmserver - which would completely by-pass the security restrictions imposed by FileMaker. Storing by reference should only be considered suitable for a single user environment.

Switch to the internally stored method and all should be fine.

IdealData Thanks for the reply but excuse my novice intellect with the next question.

From what I can glean from your reply there must be a method too turn off file sharing in FMServer. or is this done through filemaker and the sharing option?.

Secondly, what is the internally stored method? I am assuming it is stored without reference in the folder specified in storage options?

Again excuse my novice intellect on this one.

Cheers

This topic is 3214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.