View some fields, not all.

This topic is 3157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks,

My school database is sometimes used by pupils to register rehearsal attendance. 

Its use is supervised, so security isn't crucial, but I would like to tighten up things. I could put sensitive info in a tab they "can't" get to, but I might as well learn the proper way to do it!

Five tables are involved in the register process Pupils - Pupil_Class_Join - Class - Class_Assessment_Join - Marks (PupilAssessmentJoin)

Pupils need view access to all of these tables + create / edit access to Marks & Pupil_Class_Join tables.

The issue is that there can be sensitive info in the Pupils & Marks tables.  They need to be able to see names, but they don't need DoB, SpecialNeeds etc.

Is it possible to allow access to only some fields in a table for a Privilege Group? Or do I create a duplicate table without sensitive fields?

Cheers,
Mike

Perfect - just the job.

Thanks for sorting me out, none of my searches hit the mark!

If there isn't access to a field, how do calculated fields that refer to them cope - just count them as blank? I'll try to remember to report back when I get that far.

Cheers again,
Mike

As far as I can tell, calculated fields treat them as empty, causing things that refer to them to break....!

I've used this to hide a now nearly empty tooltip - but they have no access to the sensitive fields anyway.

Case ( 
(Day::AccountPriv  ≠ "student") ;

Case ( not IsEmpty (Pupils::Nickname) ; Pupils::Nickname ; Pupils::PreferedName ) & " ("  & Pupils::TutorGroup & ")"
& 
Case ( not IsEmpty (Pupils::cInstruments) ; ¶ & Pupils::cInstruments ) 
&"¶Attendance = "& Round ( Pupils::cAttendanceAverage ; 1 )
&"%¶This Year Avg = "& Round ( Pupils::ThisYrAssesmentAverage ; 1 ) & "% / All Time Avg = "& Round ( Pupils::AssesmentAverage ; 1 ) & "%"
&

Etc

Is it best practice to use the re-login script step to do this, then followed by script steps to hide toolbar etc or is there something else I've missed?

Cheers,
Mike

This topic is 3157 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.