ODBC Setup confusion. Client or Server?

This topic is 3177 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I have Server 13 running a number of files that are accessed by 25 client seats. All run without issues. I am now trying to access an SQL database using ODBC, and am confused by the instructions I've been reading within FM help, and FM Server help. I configured the ODBC driver I need at the server (Windows), and within the General Settings/ODBC/JDBC tab, the "Enable ODBC/JDBC" checkbox has been checked.

But when I go back to FM13Adv on a client machine, and atempt to write a script with "Import Records", it asks for the ODBC driver, but there is none. The Server help indicates that if I have the ODBC driver installed on it, then there is no need to install on the client. 

Do I need drivers on the clients? 

Sorry, but I'm totally confused. I've set up ODBC from a client machine in the past and it worked, but should i really have to set up 24 other clients (Mac and Windows)?

Hello,

Do I need drivers on the clients? 

Yes.  If they need access to the FM data through ODBC.

It sounds like you want to import from an ODBC source however.  For that, the FMS xDBC settings do not come into play.  You need to install the other database's ODBC driver on the client where you want to run the FM "Import Script" from

This topic is 3177 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.