FMP 6.0 Server - Change IP - remote access and other questions

This topic is 3145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

My company acquired a practice using filemaker pro v6 for record keeping. Although we will not be maintaining this - they need to maintain access. I had some general questions and needed assistance with some issues, being a filemaker noob.

Here are spec's as far as I can tell - when I open FMP - it says 6.0v4,  - when you go to open a database file, it's appended with .fp5. Looking closer this is clearly a 5.5 server.

When I go to open the Filemaker Server Console, the title says Filemaker Server Console for Windows 2000 and reads MMC could not create the snap-in and it does not load. This is target: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server 5.5\fmsconsl.msc" /s

It's running on a windows server 2003 (small business server)

So, this is not a server or a program will maintain long term, so, upgrading the database etc isn't something I'm looking to do, that said, I do need to maintain access for a period of time and I need some assistance with understanding how this thing works:

1. I need to re-IP the location and need to be able to change IP for remote connections - I don't know how the client connects to the server by IP address or where it is changed - is it changed just on the server or on the clients as well?
3. I wonder what's involved with running the program and connecting to server in a terminal server environment. Obviously getting access to the program and licenses is challenging, so, as I add new equipment (some thin clients as well), it would be ideal to just let them connect to a terminal server, or the filemaker server itself, and run the program there. 

Thanks in advance.

I hope I provided enough information - I'm also willing to pay for support from filemaker but not even sure if they would with a version this old or what it would cost.

1. I need to re-IP the location and need to be able to change IP for remote connections - I don't know how the client connects to the server by IP address or where it is changed - is it changed just on the server or on the clients as well?

It is either by IP or by DNS name, easiest way is to check on a user machine and see how they connect.  Often a local "launcher" file is used which has a file reference that points to the file hosted on FMS.  That file reference can be the IP or the DNS name.

3. I wonder what's involved with running the program and connecting to server in a terminal server environment. Obviously getting access to the program and licenses is challenging, so, as I add new equipment (some thin clients as well), it would be ideal to just let them connect to a terminal server, or the filemaker server itself, and run the program there. 

To run FileMaker Pro client you would need a volume license key for FM6 (the client - not the server, which is 5.5 as you guessed, there is no FMS version 6).  See if you can find the original licensing info to see if you have one of those.

Do NOT let the users connect to a desktop on the FMS box itself.  Performance is going to be horrible and you need to make absolutely sure users can only connect to the hosted file through FMS's file sharing, not the OS file sharing).

• Like 1

• Newbies

Wim

Thank you for the words of wisdom. From what I can tell, they connect to server by opening fm6, file, remote location and it sees server by hostname.

I'm assuming the program finds any fm server on LAN. Assuming that's the case changing the host name or IP shouldn't affect the ability of the client to connect.

Does that sound logical to you?

This topic is 3145 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.