Adding Dynamic Objects / Fields

JFC70

This topic is 3168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Quick Scenario......running FileMaker Pro 14 ADV 

I run several projects on behalf of clients that have multiple jobs tied to them.  For example, a project might be a direct mail campaign that entails four jobs that are made up of printing an envelope, brochure, and letter, plus mailing the piece.   Each job is made up of unique specifications (i.e. Size, Stock, Envelope Type, Mailing Specs, etc) that must be bid out to various suppliers.

Question?  I have created a "job", and "specifications" set of tables. I have populated the Job fields (JobID and JobType) and ALL of the Specifications fields (41 of them) onto an Estimate Layout. With that said, I have been using the "Hiding Layout Objects" and creating a calculation on each of the 41 fields tied to the JobType.  My goal is: Tie the right specifications to the job & simplify the bidding of these jobs.  Is this the best approach?

Thanks,

I would suggest a "specifications" table that is a Label / Value  pair so that should future specs be needed you can add them without making schema changes such as more fields or trying to find screen real estate for them.

Each spec is just a record. 

Size: Tabloid
Stock: 28lb
Color: White

You could add other fields to indicate types or groups of specs, so that you can hide rows that don't apply to a particular job - for example i you have spec for labels / or adhesive / etc probably not needed for a job printing business cards.

if you have a "default specs" template table that stores all these values - on creation of the jobs record you could script a method to add these records or a subset of these in to the job specs table.

Since the specs are a "line item" type table you could print the specs from there or some other method like List ( specs::row ) where row is a concatenation of Lable & Value.

Ocean West:

I am back at my computer.  Thanks for the insight.  I know what you are saying, but not able to make it come together.  I am going to request additional assistance form you (if you would like) to compile a demo and forward it to me.   This is the piece that has me hung up the most with the specs and various types of jobs that need to be quoted.  Once, I have this figured out, I think I should be on my way for developing an estimating tool for my work.  What is the best approach to communicate?

I won't do a demo, but I'll offer a couple more pieces.

Create a table, Spec Index. Each record has a field for Job Type (or Job Type ID) and Specification. This will be a table you fill out once and rarely update. It will follow the same logic as your 41 hidden field calculation.

Create another table, Job Specification Join. This table will have several records (one for each actual specification) for each Job.

Write a script. When you create a Job and set it's "type", the script finds on the Spec Index for that type and finds the, say 5 Spec Index records for that Type, then goes to Job Spec Join and creates 5 records, setting the Job ID and the Specification.

Now you'll have a Job record with 5 related specification records.

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify your note above....  Are you saying:   

SpecIndex Table (JobID, JobType and Spec)----<JobSpecJoin>---Specs    ....and then create the a script and set the "type", etc.

-OR-

Just two tables...

SpecIndexTable (JobType and Spec)----<JobSpecJoin and create the script to run?

Much Appreciated

Thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify your note above....  Are you saying:   

SpecIndex Table (JobID, JobType and Spec)----<JobSpecJoin>---Specs    ....and then create the a script and set the "type", etc.

-OR-

Just two tables...

SpecIndexTable (JobType and Spec)----<JobSpecJoin and create the script to run?

Much Appreciated

I am looking for Quotes on this.  As mentioned in my profile, I am a"Novice" and I think, I am turning this into something more than it should be.   If someone would like to create a simple demo, I will be happy to pay for your time and effort.

This topic is 3168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.