Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve N

Event 661 Authentication Failed

7 posts in this topic

I talked to Steve Blackwell at Devcon and he suggested I post this question here.

When I check my server logs on the admin console the event 661 authentication failed comes up a lot. It appears for all or most users a several times a week. No one had trouble logging on. 

I have posted a screen shot. I believe Steve thought it might be related to auto log on so I posted that screen shot as well (Hope I remembered that correct)

Another odd thing is at the end of each line is "using "User[fmapp]" sometimes reads "Admin[fmapp]", sometimes reads "The Logon name[fmapp]". I don't have a user or extended privilege called "User". What does this represent.

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 8.27.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 4.27.46 PM.png

This error can come up with a user is entering a wrong password / user name combo 

To expand on that; FM defaults the account name in the login dialog box to whatever it has in its preferences for the user name.  Which sounds like it is "user" for at least some of your users.  You can clear that out or change it it in the FM Preferences.

Also; you can get the same symptoms is you are using a launcher file or if your main file gets pulled open by another file and there are no matching accounts in the files.

Thanks for the help. I am using a launcher file and the launcher file does have a saved name in the login dialog box (I only checked 2 machines so far). Sounds like that is the culprit. I will delete the user name out on all the machines and report back if that solved the issue.

If you use a launcher file you can't avoid the issue.  Not unless you want to create every user's account in the launcher file - which is a no-no.  You could consider using the fmp protocol url link instead of a launcher file.

Wiping out the user name that I talked about is in the FM Preferences, not the File Options.

Try using a SnapShot link instead of the launcher file.

Steven

Just as a follow up. The launcher file was the issue. I set the launcher files up so long a go I had forget they had their own credentials.Those credentials were conflicting and causing the 661 error. The snap shot link works much better then the launcher file. Thanks for everyones help!!!

Edited by Steve N

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By KevinArevalo
      Good morning! I need some help getting something working.

We have a company website, and we are trying to create a instant web publishing portal for our customers to login and view their open invoices. Pretty simple. We have all of our information on a FileMaker solution that is hosted with FileMaker Server 12. The problem is we can't get it to work the way we want it to. 

This is our idea and how we kind of want it to work. We want the have our customers create their accounts/passwords on our actual website. We will store their account information on our web server. We will authenticate their login on our web server. Then, after they log into our website, we want to take their username, bypass the filemaker instant web publishing login page, and then set their username (which they used to log into our website, not filemaker) to a global variable or a field or something, we just need it in filemaker so we can do searches on it. We have the instant web publishing layouts built and we can get all that part working fine, we have the login authentication working on our site, that part is fine. It's just bridging the two together. 
      We are using WordPress to build the website, and our site is hosted on GoDaddy. Our problem is that we can't find a way to auto-login and bypass the login web publishing page. We currently have one account called "WebLogin" which we have been trying to use as a general login (since the actual customer login is authenticated on our website, not FileMaker) but we can't seem to bypass the page. I found this page through google searching: http://lnx.acidsoft.net/problemsolved/bypass-filemaker-iwp-login-via-url.html
      and tried to do it the way that he describes, but it is not working. It gives me an error saying:
      Bad Request
      The server could not process your request due to a missing command: ""

And I get another dialog box that says: 
      Bad Request
      The server could not process your request because your session has timed out, been closed, or communication with the server has been lost.
      Please reselect the database to begin a new session. If you cannot open the database, please contact your database administrator.

That is one of the problems, how can I resolve this?

My other problems is we are trying to pass through the username that the customer uses to login to our website as a variable in filemaker or even set it to a field. I am not sure how to do this. Is this even possible?
      Thank you so much!
    • By Chuck
      I have a script that works correctly on a server machine when running within FileMaker Pro 13, but raises errors when run within FileMaker Server 13. Both are running under Windows. The portion that is raising the error is an `Import Record` script step that imports from one table within a file into another table within the same file.
      The error returned is 100, "File is missing," so I'm wondering if this is something not supported when running a script within FileMaker Server. If that's the case, I'm thinking that perhaps exporting the records to a temporary file and importing from that might be a workaround, but before I start down that road, I want to check and see if I'm missing something.
    • By Richmilnix
      Have been fighting my way uphill in getting an SSL certificate, and I'm almost there. But now:
      - I used the fmsadmin command to generate my server request, but when I copy the hash out of serverRequest.pem and send it up to GeoTrust, the import fails with the message country code is not valid.
      Anybody know where to set the country code in FMS14?
    • By Richmilnix
      I'm having a devil of a time getting FMS14 in good shape. I'm looking for help installing a certificate, but also including a couple of details in case they inspire any other good advice.
      FMS is hosting my twenty databases and my organization's employees are reaching them without a hitch. It's also true that I can see a sample database via WebDirect. FileMaker customer support has told me that that means the software is installed correctly and there's nothing else they can do to help me.
      It's also true that when I use Remote Desktop Connection to remote in to the terminal, I can administer FMS (because I'm effectively sitting in front of it) . . . but that I can't administer it from a browser window in my own terminal.
      One of the browser errors I get involves Secure Connection Failed, so I'm hoping that an SSL install will solve the problem. I'm in over my head, though.
      In the WinServer 2008 IIS Manager, I have generated & installed a self-signed certificate. In the same interface, I'm using the command Create Certificate Request to generate the CSR to send to GeoTrust. I have no idea what value goes in the field Common Name (which I guess would be a domain, right, if I were tied to DNS? Is it the terminal's MAC address?) I don't want to take a stab in the dark.
    • By David Hollander
      I successfully deployed SuperContainer (SC) via the Web Publishing Engine (WPE) of FileMaker Server 11 for years, on a Mac mini (2010) running OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), with no problems. But I ran into the following problem with Mavericks and SC:   I upgraded to more modern versions of OS X and FMS by doing a completely clean installation: Formatted the Mac mini's drive; Did a clean installation of OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks); and Installed FileMaker Server 12v6 without problems. Next, I downloaded the latest SuperContainer from 360Works (v2.896). When I double-clicked the "Mac Installer.app" (also known as "SCInstaller") to deploy SC with FMS, as I did before with FMS11, I was surprised to see this alert pop up:   "'Mac installer' is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash." Mac Installer is damaged.tiff   I tried downloading a fresh copy, using Safari and Firefox; same error. I’d never seen this message before when installing any software, and I found no reports of it in this forum or in TechNet.   The icon displayed in the alert window indicated that it was originating from Mac OS Gatekeeper. So the solution I tried was to change the "Security & Privacy" System Preference of Mavericks, under the "General" tab, to "Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere", rather than the more restrictive "Mac App Store and identified developers" option. (Perhaps another option would have been just to control-click the app icon and then select “Open”, to exempt the app from Gatekeeper; I didn't test that.)   Apple’s support article on Gatekeeper mentions this “Damaged” app warning message is an indication that “the app has been altered by something other than the developer.”   I doubt that any “true damage” is present in the Mac Installer for SC. I think the message appeared because AppleScript scripts get modified after they’re signed. An Apple support article on Mavericks security states: “Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless the Gatekeeper setting in Security & Privacy preferences is set to Anywhere”   I had only tried the SC Installer on Mavericks, but I suppose the same error might have occurred on Mountain Lion or Lion, since Gatekeeper was introduced with Lion. It appears, for now, that we may need to temporarily disable Gatekeeper (by choosing the "Anywhere" option) in order for SC's Mac Installer to work.   David M. Hollander, MD Combined Fields Consulting