Server Maintenance This Week. ×

The little X on the popover

This topic is 3159 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok dumb question. I have looked and looked.  I can not make a popover show that little round x which shows when in layout mode.  I have seen some solutions which have it when in browse mode but I cannot find how to make it show.  It must be looking right at me the answer I mean but I can not find the setting for it.  I can not find a 'show round x on popover' anywhere.

please help out an ignoramus.

I don't think that's actually a UI item. Afaik it only exists so that you can close the popover when editing the layout. You can easily close the popover (when in browse mode) by using ESC, or clicking outside the popover. Alternatively, you can add a button to the popover that closes the popover.

I know I have seen it in browse mode on a few sample files.  Maybe they made a copy of it and pasted it there? It was identical to the one which displays in layout mode.  I swear it was not a photo or pasted object when I tried to select it.

I guess I will try to make one myself.  Thank you.  

Oh.  And I know they can click outside but I like the little x so the person knows.  sometimes clicking the underlying layout can trigger something else or enter a field.  I like a clean close. ;)

Sounds like you want to lock the layout when the pop-over is initiated and then unlock it when a button is pressed in pop-over. It is doable, but will take a little work.

I am attaching a sample file I put together with a way to do this using a variable, scripting, a transparent image, and hide object feature. Tear it apart to see how it works.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

LockLayoutPO.zip

If the body of the popover is set to transparent, you can place objects or buttons as requested. See attached example.

Adapted from the dwdata example and this Excelysis example:

http://www.excelisys.com/fm-tips/filemaker-pro-13-tip-n-trick-filemaker-pro-13-popover-close-in-one-script/

HollowBody Popovers.fmp12.zip

hollowbody_pop.png

HollowBody Popovers.fmp12.zip

Edited by BruceR
  • Like 1

This topic is 3159 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.