Value List to Create new unique records

jamie

This topic is 3136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have been requested to produce a report consisting of Employee Names, each with the single task assigned to them.

I have a large DB table ALL_TASKS where each record is a unique TASK_NUMBER, and each record has an employee assigned to it (EMPLOYEE_NM) from a value list (unique values from the field EMPLOYEE_NM). There's also a lot of other summary data assigned to tasks, like time to complete, etc. (Tasks are added sequentially all the time throughout our work day).

So far I created a new empty table for my report, REPORT_SUMMARY, where each record will be an employee name, with TASK_NUMBER and some other summarized time info alongside it. (TASK_DURATION)

I want to create a new record in this REPORT_SUMMARY table for each unique EMPLOYEE_NM from the ALL_TASKS table, and then get a record for each employee using a "Show all records" from the new table.

I've made a script to freeze the interface, call up all the records in the ALL_TASK table, sorted by TASK_NUMBER, and then I've figured out how to make a value list of unique employee names derived from the records displayed, so I have a value list where each value corresponds to a record that I want in the REPORT_SUMMARY table.

But I am stuck - how do I create the records in the new table from my Value list? Is there another method to build the records for this REPORT table without using a value list? Each employee record in the new table will have a TASK_NUMBER and TASK_DURATION beside their name.

Hope someone might have tried this sort of thing before.

thanks,

jamie

I don't see why you need to add a table in order to report on your existing data. You can produce the report directly from the Tasks table: just sort the records by the EMPLOYEE_NM field. You do also have a table of Employees, where each employee has a unique record, do you not?

However, if each task has an employee assigned to it, then an employee can (and most likely does) have more than one task assigned to them. So it's not clear what you mean by "a report consisting of Employee Names, each with the single task assigned to them".

This topic is 3136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.