This topic is 3106 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have posted previously about the PDF creation in a runtime solution. People have offered suggestions although things like monkey bread software etc.. seem a bit complicated. I have created a runtime solution and this is the last piece of the puzzle. The customer is getting ticked off that this last part has become complicated. The PDFs they create are multi layout then I have append in a script to create one PDF across tables etc... One of my solutions was to have the endusers purchase a subscription to Filemaker and then we wouldn't have to worry about the limitations of runtime. The customer was not receptive to this idea. I've looked into plug ins but most are a little too costly. One day when I was searching I ran across a solution about moving the PDF libraries to the runtime solution. Someone had done it, and I didn't bookmark then link and cannot locate the information again. Anyone aware of this method.

Any other suggestions, I didn't want to have learn iText etc... I have attached an example of the PDFs we create.

Thank you, I've been pulling out my hair!

Test.pdf

The Runtime does NOT have the ability to create a PDF. Adobe will not allow FileMaker to use this feature in something that they have no control on collecting a royalty for the numinous Runtimes that could be using their product.

How about using FileMaker Go?

The Runtime does NOT have the ability to create a PDF. Adobe will not allow FileMaker to use this feature in something that they have no control on collecting a royalty for the numinous Runtimes that could be using their product.

How about using FileMaker Go?

Well I suppose Filemaker Go is designed for mobile devices. Most of the people using it will be using laptops. 

You have a real problem here and one with no easy solution. Has your client purchased your software package or your services (including the use of your software). If the former then they should have been warned that the software (runtime) is incapable of creating PDFs.

Does anyone know if Adabe offers "small" limited licensing of their product?

I suppose one way is a subscription to Filemaker (I saw it online before, that way the annual cost isn't too great).

I did try to be creative, I created a table with fields for Job No and a container field. I created a relationships from the multiple tables using X operator (cartesian sp?). I wrote a script to go to each print layout, preview, copy and paste in the related containers, then print records being browsed where the enduser would need to choose a pdf printer driver to then save. Seems a tad convoluted but it would create a full report. I have not finished the script because it was tedious and I felt fried (know that feeling everyone?) :-)

I really appreciate the feedback, any other ideas?

Is the customer also aware that Runtimes are not multi-user? Runtimes are not the way around FM licensing, and be aware that they are slated to be deprecated. See #4 http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14502/

"The PDFs they create are multi layout then I have append in a script to create one PDF across tables etc... "

Are you familiar with virtual list technique? This will allow you to populate a "reporting" table with data from unrelated tables. Perhaps this approach will eliminate your need for a PDF?

Are you familiar with virtual list technique? This will allow you to populate a "reporting" table with data from unrelated tables. Perhaps this approach will eliminate your need for a PDF?

I am familiar with the virtual list technique, I hadn't thought of that option, perhaps that is an option, I'm sure though the PDFs are needed for email etc... If I'm missing something please advise.

So I wrote a script to go to each print layout, preview, copy and paste in the related containers, then print records being browsed where the enduser would need to choose a pdf printer driver. It's working quite nicely but.... I'd like the portrait and landscape layouts to be combined, is there any way a layout in filemaker can contain two different orientations I have specified a portrait layout and landscape, with a field that contains which type of layout it should print on. Any ideas? I attached my script.

PDF Bundle script.pdf

Portrait and Landscape in the same layout. Well...not exactly. You can have two container fields (rotating the landscape container to fit the portrait dimensions. Other than that, don't think it can be done.

Here is a little sample file I zapped up.

Good luck!

PrintPortLscp.fp7

Portrait and Landscape in the same layout. Well...not exactly. You can have two container fields (rotating the landscape container to fit the portrait dimensions. Other than that, don't think it can be done.

Here is a little sample file I zapped up.

Good luck!

PrintPortLscp.fp7

I could have sworn I replied to this.... so that was the idea I needed to finish my script for pdfs in a runtime. I put the landscape and portrait container fields on top of each other on one layout. And I put Hide when Page field ="Landscape" on the Portrait container, and Hide when Page field ="Portrait" on the Landscape container.  So it grabs (copies and pastes) the different layouts from different tables (of course there are some loops to grab the multiple pages etc...) The end result is one complete report that can be sent to a pdf driver in runtime. Works quite nicely. Then it deletes all the records in the container table.

So thank you everyone for your ideas and help. It's a work around but it gets the job down. Wahoo!

Caroline

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How large are the images that are included in the pdf? They could be the source of the inflation. Or, perhaps you are printing the report from filemaker as images to pdf? maybe you can tweak compression?

This topic is 3106 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.