Web Viewer -- "Unsupported Browser"?

awatson

This topic is 2565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Two new and identical computers. Purchased and configured at the same time.

Windows 7 installed on both.

Filemaker 11 installed on both.

IE Explorer installed on both.

Mozilla Firefox installed on both.

The Web Viewer works for Google Maps on one computer but not the other.

The failed Web Viewer provides the following error message:

"You seem to be using an unsupported Browser".

I've checked "compatibility view" and tried different configurations including disabled and enabled w/wo google.com. Always restarting both IE Explorer and FMP 11 after a change is made.

It’s a preference in the browsers. Also, I’m not a Windows developer, but I believe it will default to IE Explorer.

Edited by Lee Smith
Added the default part

Try to set both to FF; make sure IE, FF and FMP are all closed when you do this. Restart the machines and try again.

Edited by ggt667

Try to set both to FF; make sure IE, FF and FMP are all closed when you do this. Restart the machines and try again.

Thanks. No change to either.

It's odd because they are both brand new and both configured at the same time and have only a couple of third party programs installed including FMP 11, FF and scanning software.

FileMaker Webviewer doesn't use the browser. It uses the built in browser. Safari for OS X, IE for Windows. Changing the default would not have any impact on the function of the Web Viewer.

One thing to check that easily gets "out of sync" between 2 identical machines is Java. Make sure both machines are updated.

FileMaker Webviewer doesn't use the browser. It uses the built in browser. Safari for OS X, IE for Windows. Changing the default would not have any impact on the function of the Web Viewer.

One thing to check that easily gets "out of sync" between 2 identical machines is Java. Make sure both machines are updated.

Neither had Java. I just installed Java on the problem computer but still it doesn't work.

Does the error message state the version/build of ie11 used?

No.

Solution: Downloaded FMP 14. Tested webviewer in FMP 14 running Google Maps and it works fine. Following a hunch and not wanting to upgrade the solution, I tested 11 again. Now the webviewer in FMP 11 works.

Not sure what that worked but it did

Edited by awatson

Perhaps uninstalling FMP 11 and reinstalling FMP 11 would give the same effect?

Edited by ggt667
typo

Perhaps ununstalling FMP 11 and reinstalling FMP 11 would give the same effect?

Perhaps, I don't know. It's working so I don't want to mess with it. Now, oddly enough I can't display pdf files in the web viewer, instead I get a windows dialog box that asks if I want to open or save the file. If I choose "open" then it opens it in Internet Explorer 11.

Now, oddly enough I can't display pdf files in the web viewer, instead I get a windows dialog box that asks if I want to open or save the file. If I choose "open" then it opens it in Internet Explorer 11.

The solution I found for the failure of webviewer to display pdf files was to install Acrobat Reader

• 8 months later...

I'm having the same problem now when displaying Google maps in a Web viewer.

The WebViewer says that my browser is not supported, but when I click on "Learn More" it shows that I have the latest version of IE (IE 11 on Windows 10)

The exact error message is "You are using a browser that is not supported by the Google Maps JavaScript API. Consider changing your browser.

I updated to the latest Java, still the same.

This google api page shows that IE 11 is supported  https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/browsersupport

I have tried everything here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/getting-message-that-ie-browser-is-not-supported/be916dc1-b8a8-4967-a2fe-eab537e47fea?auth=1

No change, and anyway Google Maps works fine in an actual IE 11 window.

The Web Viewer seems to actually work fine - just has that annoying message.

it's happening in Fm 14 and 15

• 8 months later...

This topic is 2565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.