FMP Adv not seeing DSN

This topic is 3083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know this has been asked before and I have read the other answers but am still at a loss so am looking for more help - sorry to be redundant!

I have downloaded the mysql connector driver -- after reading http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420/~/which-odbc-data-sources%2Fdrivers-are-supported-with-external-sql-data-sources%3F and knowing I wanted to make the ESS connection with FMP Adv 14, I downloaded the 32bit MySQL Connector/ODBC version 5.2.5  and installed it into the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder. I created a DSN, tested the connection - all is good. But, when I open the local FM db and go to Manage External Data Sources, put in the ODBC name, no DSN appears in the box. Just to "see", I opened the older version of the same database in FMP Adv 11 - and even tho' I'm using the 5.2 driver - the DSN appears with absolutely no problem in the FMP Adv 11 - even tho' the above referenced filemaker help says that only  MySQL Connector/ODBC version 3.51.14   driver will work with FMP Adv 11.

Ok - so, maybe the help is a little out of date - so, I went and downloaded the 5.3 version (still 32 bit) - installed in the sysWOW64 folder, created the DSN, tested the connection - still no joy in FMP Adv 14 - still works perfectly well in FMP Adv 11.

Am I correct in installing the driver in the sysWOW64 folder? the DSN creation doesn't seem to care where the driver is located. Is the help on this out of date?

Other background - I am working on Win 10, the mySQL db is hosted in the cloud.

Where do I go next?

Thanks for any and all insights,

Martie

Depends... FM14 has both a 32-bit and 64-bit version so if you are using the 64-bit version then, no: you should not use the sysWOW64 folder but the normal ODBC control panel.  And you would need to use the 64-bit mysql connector.

ok - I will try that, I did download the 32bit because I thought that's what was needed, but my computer is 64bit so perhaps that what I should use. So...... I will do that now and see how it goes!

thanks!!!

M

This topic is 3083 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.