Placeholder auto-enter

This topic is 3073 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This post is simply to make others aware of a usage of placeholder text that I haven't seen mentioned before.  We have situation where, when opening a popover to create a new record, the new record isn't created until the User enters data.  However, there are a few auto-enter fields which are defaults and they do not display.  This is confusing to Users since, from their perspective, that data should already be there - they don't fill it in unless they want to change the value.!

I always keep a field (global) called PLACEHOLDER.  It is set to auto-enter ( replace ) with:  If ( not IsEmpty ( Self ) ; "" ) and I use it for displaying calculation results on layouts when merge fields will not work but this usage is a bit different ...

The PLACEHOLDER field can help with displaying these default auto-enters.  No record has been created yet (and may not be if User cancels) but I have set those field's placeholder text to their auto-enter calculation and I've set the placeholder text style to same font color as their regular text.  Now default entries display.

autoEnter_display.png

BTW, this works nicely since when User enters the field, the value remains until the user starts to type, at which time the placeholder text disappears and the user entry displays.

• Like 4

That's great LaRetta - I too am finding great use for placeholder text - in this example based on the detail field above I have the place holder text appear with a "suggestion" of what should be entered in to the category field based on a relationship that matches previous records with the same Description/Account/with in say the past six months.

clicking the button just sets the field to the suggested value. But still allows free from entry from the drop down list or ad hoc entry. 

564aae28bfdba_ScreenShot2015-11-16at8.31

• Like 1

Nice ideas! Could somebody post some examples? Steven, on you screenshot, you have two different buttons, one of which looks like maybe a "duplicate" button and one looks like a "recalculate" or refresh or something, and I'm not sure which one says "use this value".

Hi LaRetta,

Nice variations of the Placeholder Function.

I for one, was elated to see FileMaker provide this feature. Most of us have been doing workarounds to improve the GUI data impute.  I was happy doing it using the Inspector, now I have to examine your and Stephan's approaches.

Hi Stephen, what are the buttons 

Love it!  I think Placeholder is one of my favorite new tools, Stephen!  I have used it - same field placed throughout the solutions - with various calculations which are only used once on certain layouts, which replace the old method of using conditional formatting with Let() to set merge variables, to using it to display layout names dynamically depending upon whether browse, find etc!  It has become my GOTO a LOT.   B)

I hadn't see your response, Lee!  

I know you know this, but Placeholder isn't really a function - but rather a functionality - a layout tool.  I think about how we used to stack fields to provide dynamic text results on layouts, like you say ... and now we have so much more flexibility!  Whenever I need to step back into prior versions, I feel my heart sink a bit.  :wink3:

I hadn't seen your post either, Bruce!  Here is example of mine.  It is very simple - handled only in Placeholder calculation (on Data tab) and then setting Placeholder style (selecting the field and then Appearance tab on Inspector and up under 'edit box' is the style - change to placeholder.

PLACEHOLDER.fmp12.zip

Sorry, I considered posting an example before but I figured it would be obvious.  Stephen's probably sets the fields to the prior record when button is clicked but I'd like to see it as well.  I love this stuff!!

Keep in mind that I don't use it unnecessarily however ... it still carries weight because it recalculates on layout refresh.  So it's particularly perfect on popovers or hidden until needed.  Neither is this a logical example since the popover is child fields with allow creation on.

Edited by LaRetta

52 minutes ago, BruceR said:

you have two different buttons, one of which looks like maybe a "duplicate" button and one looks like a "recalculate" or refresh or something, and I'm not sure which one says "use this value".

The button in the Category field is the one that "sets" what is suggested by the place holder then using the hide object i make the button disappear, unless the field is empty.

the other icon by the price field is kind of a "split" functionality that will change the slide panel changing the Memo & Category Fields from a single entry into a portal for multiple entires. - I haven't finalize the style - not even sure they are the appropriate imagery - (have to get me some better SVG images) also placements as its a work in progress.

here is an image of a split - oh and remember another use of that lovely little placeholder tool - as a quick way to show balance as you enter the data by taking the Amount and Subtracting the sum of the portal amount.

564ac38f6381e_ScreenShot2015-11-16at10.0

Not sure where you are going or whether you are asking me but I'll go along!  :-)

Tooltips and script would gather the same value as placeholder calculation ... whatever you tell it to.  It is late and I don't want to try now but I believe that, since it evaluates at the time of display/refresh, there is no reason the placeholder calculation can't set global variables with a Let() which can be accessed via script or tooltip.

I sense that you are thinking it would be a method of identifying the field without having to object-name it.  I believe I tried using GetLayoutObjectAttribute () to access the placeholder and came up empty ( pun intended ).  I've still wanted to play around with placeholder calculations in list views but simply haven't had the chance.  So many fun things to explore and so little time!

Well, even for the feature you first mentioned - displaying the auto-enter calc. This can get out of sync, it seems to me.

So you can use the auto-enter calc for a field as the placeholder definition. Then, you realize you need to modify the actual field definition, you update it's auto-enter calc. So now the placeholder shows something different.

I think you've described a great way to use placeholder calcs. They are really really useful. I'm just trying to stay on top of any areas where the technique might be fragile.

LaRetta one thing that may be faster then the tooltip and placeholder text for setting global variables is to do that with a HIDE object function

Let ( $$x = "some value" ; 1 )  the object is always hidden - kind of a utility object. 

Of the three options the Hide Object When feature evaluates before the layout loads - where as the placeholder text does after the layout loads and then the tooltips only on hover.

Another thing about placeholders - they never print, and do not show in preview mode, right? 

Say you develop an interface with placeholders, and you want to document the solution or print the layout to give somebody for review or as a guide to proper data entry. But you'll never be able to do that. Though you can take screen shots.

Hi Bruce,

This is data-entry tool only.  You've both made some great points!  And no, placeholder isn't an answer for everything.   In my example, the date is date created so that is no-brainer and works fine always.  The dollar amount is a lookup from a related table (the current rate) and again, is dynamic.  I know my example was thrown together quickly and I used auto-enter data instead of the additional relationship (my bad).

There are times it will be useful but as with all tools, it must be used responsibly and should be thought through.  I thought I mentioned placeholder doesn't display in preview but I see I just omitted it from the 'browse, find' sentence.

Stephen! I don't think I've used Hide to set global variables yet!  Great - thanks a LOT - more things to play with.  :wink3:

This topic is 3073 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.