Serving lots of Video w/FM Server

Craig Wall

This topic is 3047 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have built a solution for a client that will be serving a lot of video. I've kept expectations low for how many concurrent users might watch videos at the same time.

I have built both options into the solution so that we can compare performance. As you would guess the two options employ A ) A Web Viewer and B ) A Container field. I've been compressing videos for 25 years and know a lot about keeping data size very, very small (around 500kps) but am unsure what to expect exactly with the video being served via FMServer.

I've told the client that we might only be able to serve 4-5 viewers at the same time, and might need to take measures to stagger times for staff viewing.

I was hopeful that a web viewer might only involve a pass-through operation and that maybe the video data doesn't even pass through the server. I certainly haven't let myself run far w/this optimism until/unless I see it.

Does anyone have any expertise or experience to share on what we can realistically expect? I'll certainly be back to post my results here.

We built a solution for tracking the users watching data etc, and just hosted the videos to an outside link. The cost to host a video so that you can manage the templates etc. is almost nothing.

Not sure if that is an option.

We also built a video server for an in-house solution and once again just linked the videos to the server which had enough horsepower to serve as many as we needed. We are moving this solution to a 10g setup for more bandwidth. Nothing wrong with the old one, but with 10g we can pump some serious stuff through the network.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.