Multiple organisations contributing to same database - how to segregate data?

This topic is 3068 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've currently developed a database using the data separation model whereby I have an interface file, and a database file. The interface file is held locally on each computer using the database, and the database file is held on a server.

There are going to be 3 - 5 different organisations all contributing data to the main database, but ordinary users should only have access to the data created by their organisation. Some "super-users" will have access to the combined data from all organisations. I currently have lots of reports which cycle through the database, analysing specific parts of the data and returning found sets. What is the best way to segregate out my data on an organisation by organisation level?

Im trying to avoid having separate database files so that I don't have to make the changes to each file every time the database is updated?

I thought about setting up access privileges, and storing the organisation name in every record of the database, then limiting the view, edit, delete privileges based on this field. However, upon reading through the various FMforums it looks like this would give me multiple records showing <No Access>. 

Im basically trying to achieve:-

User 1 from Organisation A logs on - database behaves as if specific to Organisation A

Same for User 2 from Organisation B

Super User logs on and can run reports on data from Organisation A & B combined

Can anyone suggest an elegant solution?

BW,

Mike

2 hours ago, mike_eddie said:

upon reading through the various FMforums it looks like this would give me multiple records showing <No Access>. 

Filemaker automatically removes such records from find and join results.

Edited by comment

This topic is 3068 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.