Issue when attaching files stored in external container fields

This topic is 3012 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I recently started using external storage for our container fields and instantly noticed an issue.

We use the container fields to create attachments for emails. When we use database storage for container fields the attached documents are all fine.

If on the other hand we use external storage for the container field then when we attach it to an email it always adds .dat to the end of the filename eg. "filename.pdf.dat" 

the only way the file is readable is if the .dat is removed (but most people have no idea about that so not really practicle)

I have tried both secure and open storage but still results in the same problem. When I change the storage back to internal it all works fine.

Has anyone else come across this and any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Mark

How do you attach the file?  Hopefully not by trying to read the file from the hard disk?

RC files should be treated as live FM files (as they are) and you should NEVER try to manipulate them directly.

The best way to do this is to use Export Field Contents on the container and attach the file from that exported location.

Thanks for your input Wim.

No wee not directly accessing the files from the hard drive.

its a email script that is using related container fields to attach files to the email. We're using FM server 14 on a wan so don't actually have direct access to the files.

any suggestions why the files may all be attaching as .dat files?

Mark.

This topic is 3012 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.