multi file migration advise needed

This topic is 3036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

So a client asks me to migrate/transform an old solution 30 files or so to less files.   
My thoughts are to go to a three files solution : interface, data and reporting.

As the files have crashed in the past I am asking input two things :

1. I am pretty satisfied with other three files solutions, but should I reconsider.

2. The files have crashed in the past so maybe more important question : Can I start copy/pasting of should I rebuild from scratch ? This will increase the costs for my client. Or can I, for example just copy/paste the field definitions ?

Thanks on any input you can give me here. 

Depends the nature of the crashes, and the files them self in a 30 file solution i suspect many are lookup tables and references with little interface scripts etc.

Consolidating these in to a new solution is better - getting data out by exporting as FMP (preserving containers ) can be a way to get a new field list copy & paste works too.

https://www.geistinteractive.com/checklist-moving-filemaker-code/

The tricky part is the layouts - i would recommend you build these from scratch as a copy & paste would bring along any corrupted elements plus you do not have to deal with "CLASSIC" themes when you transition to a new system.

This topic is 3036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.