SQL novice - where to start?

This topic is 2996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A simple project wants to start with several people out in the field doing data entry; in the interest of uniformity, I set up a simple one-table web-based SQL table with a one-way PHP interface. That's working fine (and is about the limit of my facility with PHP). My intent was to set up an automated recurring import into a FMP database, which I thought would consist of entering credentials and an IP address into the ExecuteSQL script step. I find the learning curve a little more steep.

In this instance, it's really not hard for me to export the contents to my desktop once a day and then hoover them up into FMP. But can you recommend a one-stop tutorial for this kind of straightforward behavior?

The ExecuteSQL script step is for pushing data into an ODBC compliant database.

If you need to get data into FM you need to use the "import from ODBC source" script stip.  You will need to create a SQL query to use there but just go through that script step just to get familiar with it.  Obviously you will need a DSN set up with the proper driver for the remote database.

Or use ESS with the remote database if it supports it and then you can you stick to more traditional scripting.

Are the concepts of DSN and ODBC drivers familiar to you?

No, I'm in over my head. ODBC driver I get, but I don't know what DSN stands for. Desperate, Stranded Newbie?

There are plenty of kinds of FMP sharing that are one-step operations that are easily executed on the first try with no special knowledge (like converting from XLS). I was assuming this would be one of those, since SQL is open. For now, I'm going back to first base

I would suggest you get the FileMaker Training Series - Advanced book.  It's only $49 or so and has a whole chapter with excercises that walks you through all the steps you need to do this.

Chapter 9 I believe.

This topic is 2996 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.