Upgrading from 12 to 14-rebuild?

This topic is 2992 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Forum!  I'm going to upgrade from FM Pro Adv.12 to FM Pro Adv14.  I've done plenty of research (probably not enough) and was wondering what would be the best/most practically way to approach.

1.  Should I do a complete rebuild?  I've had a few crashes seemingly unrelated to my file.  Briefly in 12, any file I create, if I try to change the toolbar icons, it crashes-even a brand new simple file (no scripts, anything)  However if I use a starter solution or any file anyone posts, and change toolbar icons, it doesn't crash.  Same crash scenario if I have the data viewer open, in layout mode with a script open-and put a formula in the data viewer and select 'Monitor'.

a. Should I do a partial rebuild?  If so, would I copy/paste schema (fields, scripts, formulas) and change what is needed?  Or rebuild those from scratch also.

b.  I've read up on custom themes.  Would the best way to proceed to consider a theme, save it as a custom theme, and work all layouts off of the custom theme.

c.  I really don't entirely mind the total rebuild, as I am still a newb, the DB is for my business, and I actually enjoy the learning exercise.  Also, I received a lot of help on the forums and probably forget the why/how I accomplished some of the things on the DB.

2.  Should I wait for FM 15 :) ?  Just thinking I really wouldn't start until about April/May and would hate to hear that 15 is coming up and would have to do all the work again.

Finally, any pointers, or specific links anyone has that really nails down upgrading?  I did pull a lot of stuff, but usually someone has that one definitive link that really explains it best.

Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

P.S.  The current file is:

15 tables

96 layouts

276 scripts

360 fields

I think the answer is here:

28 minutes ago, Steve Martino said:

c.  I really don't entirely mind the total rebuild, as I am still a newb, 

If you have the time, it would be a very good learning experience to redo everything.

And yes: you do want to create your own custom theme and stick to it everywhere.

There really is no point in waiting for the next version.  14 has been out for about 9 months now and is stable.

This topic is 2992 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.