Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Selective X-Axis Chart Labels

Wickerman

This topic is 2953 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a simple Line Graph showing the cumulative money won or lost over time for a poker player.  Each point on the chart is a day's result.  Currently I haver the Date as the X-axis value.  If I have it label the X-axis with the date, of course, I just get a big smudge across the bottom, since depending on the date ranges of the chart I might have anywhere from 5 to 500 points on the chart.  

What I really would like to see on the Axis is simply the Year solely on those data points that represent the first Result of a new year, so that we can see the shape of the graph and correlate it with Calendar years.   Of course, in other charts, say series of single-calendar-year charts, it would be nice to do the same thing, but with the Months as the demarcating units.

I feel like this ought to be pretty basic, but for the life of me I can't seem to find any manual explanation or guide to managing these labels.  Could someone point me in the right direction?  

I don't think your question is clear enough. It sounds like you could use a found set that includes only records that are the first ones in their year. But that's just a guess, I don't really understand what you have to begin with, and what you want to get out of it.

Edited by comment

Here's a picture of the chart -- thee X-Axis is just showing the Year, derived from the Date, of each 'Session'.  Instead of having that Year appear for each data point, I'd like it to just appear for the very first Session of each year.  I'm not concerned about the X-Axis having a regularly-scaled timeline (I don't want a big gap if there are no sessions for a 3-month stretch) -- I just want to be able to see the rising and falling of the cumulative total over time.  As you can see here, the X-axis labels get crowded in a hurry, and this is just a grey blur if I look at a chart with a larger set of found Sessions.

Chart1.jpg

Try defining the following fields:

• SessionID - Number, Auto-enter serial number
  • cYear - Calculation = Year ( Datefield )
  • sMinID - Summary = Minimum of SessionID

Then specify the chart's X axis values as a calculation =

If ( GetSummary ( Sessions::sMinID ; Sessions::cYear ) = Sessions::SessionID ; Sessions::cYear )

Records must be sorted by cYear for this to work. Note that this assumes your chart is not set to show data points for sorted groups.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 2953 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.