Need Help Creating Enrollment Form

Briana

This topic is 3003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm very new to this program and need some assistance in creating a database. I've been watching Guy Steven's YouTube videos and I've learned as much as I could. I'm trying to create a "table" (where I can list specific medications) and a "checklist" (descriptions with "completed" buttons on each end of each row) in a section of my layout where I've created multiple tabs. I'd like to create a table under "Medications" and a checklist under "Checklist". 

Would anybody be so kind to give me some pointers? I've never worked with databases before so I'm learning everything on my own via the internet. It'd greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Briana

I cannot figure what your question is. I suggest you start by explaining what do you want your solution to do: what kind of real-life objects it's supposed to track (e.g. patients and their medications), and for what purpose. I would also suggest you design your data model (tables, fields and relationships) separately from any user interface considerations. A checklist is a user interface element, not an "entity" in database design.

• Newbies

Sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't being specific enough. I've never created a database before so I'm not very great at understanding the lingo. However, I'm hoping this is a better explanation.

I'm trying to create an enrollment form for clients at a hospital. When each client comes in, they'll fill out an enrollment form that has a section at the bottom with "tabs" for further medical history. I've created the tab section to have contain 3 tabs - medication, visit, and checklist. In one of the tabs, I need to create a 3 column table for the medication tab to include "Date", "Time", and "Notes", where I can fill out different notes in different rows (hence, the desire for a scroll bar). For the visit tab, I need a 5 column table with similar inclusions. My main goal is to understand how to create tables (with headers reading left to right or up and down - for checklist type of a purpose) with a specific number of columns. 

For left to right tables, I'm hoping it'd look something like this:
Drug                   Amount                 Start Date                   End Date

**************************************************************************************

**************************************************************************************

*the asterisks are row lines*

For up to down tables, I'm hoping it'd look something like this:

System               Y/N                      Comments 
Eye
Nose
Throat
Digestive
Heart

Please let me know if that clears any confusion.
Thanks!

Edited by Briana

First thing: you are not creating a form. You are creating a database - that is a collection of inter-related tables that hold data. A form could be a part of the database that is presented to the user so they can enter data into one or more of the tables. What I am trying to say is that it is not useful to think of the task in terms of forms., or how the data is going  be presented.

Now, let's start with patients and their medications. This is a simple one-to-many relationship (one patient takes many medications, but each medication is taken only by one patient). For this you would define two tables with the following fields:

Patients:

• PatientID
  • FirstName
  • LastName
  • ... more fields describing the patient, e.g. address, insurance, etc.

Medications:

• MedicationID
  • PatientID
  • Drug
  • Dosage
  • StartDate
  • EndDate

and relate them by matching PatientID.

To create the actual form, you would use a layout of the Patients table, and place a portal to Medications on it. If you allow the relationship to create records in Medications, then the user will be able to enter new medications by entering them in the first empty portal row.

• Newbies

So each table should have a relationship with the Patients table, correct? Medications, Checklist, etc.

Also, how do I add titles for each row so doctors know what information to input in each section?

13 minutes ago, Briana said:

So each table should have a relationship with the Patients table, correct? Medications, Checklist, etc.

Correct about Medications and Visits. I will withhold judgement regarding the "checklist" for now, as that may be more complicated.

15 minutes ago, Briana said:

how do I add titles for each row

I suggest you try it and see how it goes - if necessary, consult the help.

--
P.S. I would advise you (or your client) to consider carefully the StartDate and EndDate requirement for medications. People coming to a hospital will not know the exact dates - and the system (i.e. your solution and the user working it) need to be able to handle answers like "three years ago" or "several months now".

This topic is 3003 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.