Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Simulating keyboard entry into a field

This topic is 3000 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout that has a search field on it, the search field does dynamic filtering of a portal. This works fine when I type in a series of letters with the keyboard.

I have added a alphabet button bar to do entry with a mouse, when I select a letter with a mouse the selected letter is placed in the search field, this also works fine. My problem is, is that the search field does not recognize that a letter has been inputted, how would simulate a keyboard entry? Using this step to set filtering field.

Set Field [TO6_List::g_search_list; Get(ScriptParameter)]

Related question, how should I go about entering a series of letters into the search field for dynamic filtering? Dynamic searching works fine with keyboard entry.

Edited by laguna92651

14 minutes ago, laguna92651 said:

how to enter a series of letters with the mouse and the alphabet button bar

Not sure what the exact problem is. I guess you want to do:

Set Field [ YourTable::gInputField ; YourTable::gInputField & Get ( ScriptParameter ) ] 

Personally, I would prefer to use Insert Calculated Result, so that (1) the regular keyboard remains active alongside the virtual one, and (2) to enable user to move the cursor to where they want to insert the next character - not necessarily at the end of of the existing text.

It is a script step just like Set Field[].  The difference is that Set Field[] can only place a parameter at the beginning or end of the 'field contents' depending upon how you arrange the calculation results whereas Insert Calculated Result[] inserts at the point of the cursor.  Try it out.  :-)

On 02/06/2016 at 9:05 PM, LaRetta said:

Set Field[] can only place a parameter at the beginning or end of the 'field contents'

Actually, Set Field[] can place it anywhere you want - including at the point of the cursor (or rather in place of the current selection). It's just that using Insert Calculated Result[] for this purpose is much easier.

This topic is 3000 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.