FM server 14 and windows licenses

This topic is 2935 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can any one please help clarify something for me.

If we have 15 users connecting to a FM server which is loaded on a dedicated windows 2012 server do I need a windows license for each of those users?

They will only be connecting to FM server through remote connection over LAN - NOT logging into the server as a windows user in any way, shape or form.

Someone told me I would need 15 windows user licenses for this - BUT they aren't familiar with FM server. 

Can anyone please confirm?

Mark

You shouldn't need a Windows license - they will all have their own computers with some favour of Windows...

They do each need a legal copy of FileMaker in order to remotely connect

Hi Wim:

There are a lot of CAL discussions all over the Internet, and the licensing terms seem to have a lot of gray areas.

I have been reading about it because I was thinking about upgrading to a Windows server and FM server 14 (currently FMS server 11 on a Win 7 Pro, which does not require CAL and allows up to 20 connections).

Filemaker updated its knowledge base about this on Feb 3, 2016, and it now says:

FileMaker Server connectivity may require CALs, depending on the hosted environment you are running your software in. Contact Microsoft for further questions or concerns regarding the use of CALs specific to your environment. ( http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13342/~/does-filemaker-server-require-a-client-access-license-(cal)%3F )

So even FM seems not to be sure. I guess for the time being I will stay with my current setup and wait for FM 15, hoping they will release a Linux based server (or host it on an Apple when I finally upgrade).

Happy Easter

Carlos

Edited by carlosnorvik
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for you input.

So far, it seems that CAL's are not required. As we can connect multiple users to FM server without windows throwing up any errors.We only have a single windows server license.

On 3/25/2016 at 2:43 PM, carlosnorvik said:

Hi Wim:

There are a lot of CAL discussions all over the Internet, and the licensing terms seem to have a lot of gray areas.

I have been reading about it because I was thinking about upgrading to a Windows server and FM server 14 (currently FMS server 11 on a Win 7 Pro, which does not require CAL and allows up to 20 connections).

Filemaker updated its knowledge base about this on Feb 3, 2016, and it now says:

FileMaker Server connectivity may require CALs, depending on the hosted environment you are running your software in. Contact Microsoft for further questions or concerns regarding the use of CALs specific to your environment. ( http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13342/~/does-filemaker-server-require-a-client-access-license-(cal)%3F )

So even FM seems not to be sure. I guess for the time being I will stay with my current setup and wait for FM 15, hoping they will release a Linux based server (or host it on an Apple when I finally upgrade).

Happy Easter

Carlos

Reading over the CALs licensing terms. It looks like the CALs are required when the users are using services that are part of the OS Server. FMS is not part of that. It doesn't use file or print sharing through the OS.

I could see configurations where someone could or would be using those services. Users connecting through the OS for file/print sharing, etc. In that case, you would need to purchase CALs. But for just running FMS, I don't see where you would need them.

This topic is 2935 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.