Win28R2 FMS14 bsod

This topic is 2919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My Windows 2008R2 FMS14 just BSOD this afternoon. After reboot, Filemaker services wont start anymore. Trying to manually start the service results in "error 1003: Cannot complete this action". I've rebooted many times. I've cleaned up tempfolders, uninstalled AV (Comodo), all to no avail. I've tried to repair the installation, but that breaks at the point where it tries to start services. I've checked the disk, Ran WSUS and installed the latest updates. Trying to start the server via the commandline ("fmsadmin start server") results in "Error: 10007 (Requested object does not exist)".

The Filemaker user used for the service is an administrator, and can login normally. There's nothing much left on the server to uninstall. Nothing changed in the last few weeks. Server has been happy for months. It's a virtual server btw, running on VMWare. Been on there for at least a year.

I'm out of ideas at the moment. If anybody has clues, I'd be very grateful.

The only other thing I can try is uninstalling FMS and reinstalling from scratch. But, I want to preserve the schedules that have been setup. Is there anyway I can back those up from the cli? Alternatively, where are they stored?

Thanks heaps for any ideas!

4 hours ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

Server has been happy for months.

Obviously not otherwise it wouldn't BSOD on you... what was the error on the BSOD?  That could be a very useful clue.

Did you save out the schedules through the FMS admin console at some point?  If not: remember that for next time :)

You could try saving out the schedules hive from the registry so that you can reimport that part of the FMS prefs (don't save all the FMS prefs, that will cause you grief).

Before you uninstall though, and since this is a VM: a normal deployment would have snapshots of the VM.  Check if there are and get one restored.  You'll have to replace the FM files on it with your current files so save the current files away somewhere off the VM.

11 hours ago, Wim Decorte said:

Obviously not otherwise it wouldn't BSOD on you... what was the error on the BSOD?  That could be a very useful clue.

On Thu 21/04/2016 3:45:16 AM GMT your computer crashed
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x743C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x3452, 0x7558E000, 0xFFFFF700010810D8, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

It's not a very helpful error description...

Did you save out the schedules through the FMS admin console at some point?  If not: remember that for next time :)

Sigh. Yeah, and also document it. Just in case. Luckily there aren't a lot of scheduled scripts.

You could try saving out the schedules hive from the registry so that you can reimport that part of the FMS prefs (don't save all the FMS prefs, that will cause you grief).

Aren't they stored elsewhere in v14? Or is that the pInfo key in HKLM\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\14.0\Preferences? I know that FMSv13 had the schedules in the registry.

Before you uninstall though, and since this is a VM: a normal deployment would have snapshots of the VM.  Check if there are and get one restored.  You'll have to replace the FM files on it with your current files so save the current files away somewhere off the VM.

I've resorted to checking the FMS event.log for which schedules were running. I had an other server available that I could use and installed FMS on that, it's a bit of work but at least we're able to work with the DB again. Part of this exercise is documenting how to recover from something like this (incl the schedules).

I've also uninstalled and completely removed FMS from that Win2k8 server and tried reinstalling it. No go. It cannot start the services for some reason. So there must be something within Windows that's broken.

I think I'll recycle the VM and build a new one. Your point about the server obviously not being as happy, is probably correct. And considering I can't get FMS reinstalled, means I'm better off starting fresh.

This topic is 2919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.