Merge within button dialogue

This topic is 2846 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create an option for dialogue to show up for users based on input they have provided. Rather than using up space for a merge paragraph on the page of the layout, it would be nice if they could click the help button and show the custom information related to each question based on their own input.

When I try to set the button up to have merged fields in the dialogue, I do not see that option. I am using FM12 advanced.

Thank you!

Wherever you see a "Specify..." button in FileMaker it's generally a clue that it can be specified using a calculation, e.g. in the message portion of the dialog you could put:

"Hi, " & Get ( AccountName ) &
". You're now looking at " & someTable::someField &
". You specified " & Get (ScriptParameter) & 
". Have a nice day!"

...or whatever. Is that what you mean?

PS: Many users find dialogs annoying. I know I do. Maybe there's an alternate method? Your profile says FileMaker 12, is that right? I ask because in FileMaker 13 you can use popovers instead of dialogs when you want to save some space on a layout.

• Like 1

oh! Popovers is what I would really like, but I can't afford the upgrade right yet. I have been looking for a reason to upgrade, though! :-)

What I have are buttons that guide people in decision-making for each question. Click on the question mark and it provides some guidance around the decision that is to be made. Now, however, I have a questionnaire they fill out and the recommendations are more specific. The dialogue is at the top of the page now, but I want it in a button or popover. It might say, "According to the results of the questionnaire, <<Name>> <<scheduleinteractioncalculation>>." and provides specific recommendations for the student based on the results. "Based on the results of the questionnaire, Jeremy may need to be able to review completed items, consider identified fine motor issues when determining interactivity."

I think, though, popovers would be great.

Thanks.

Ugh. I bit the bullet and bought FMPro Advanced 14. Love the layout options SO much. Now I feel like an idiot because I cannot figure our how to make a popup actually say something other than the title. There are options to create scripts, but no option just to display a message that I can see. I am sure there must be a script to do that. It strikes me as odd that FM's tutorials only say how to format them, and nothing about getting them to display a simple message. This is what I want coming up (with merged info) in one of the popovers:

"According to the results of the questionnaire, <<Name>> has a <<Needschedule>> need for a visual schedule to address individual characteristics. Length of Schedule and Presentation Format: According to the results of the questionnaire, <<Name>> <<schedulelengthpresentationcalculation>>. Transition Symbol: <<Name>> <<scheduletransitioncalculation>>"

There's nothing special about merging text on a popover vs. anywhere else on the layout. You type your text and wherever you want to insert a merge field, you choose Insert > Merge Field.

One really useful feature you now have is hiding objects, which is on the Data panel of the Inspector. For example you could enter a calculation like IsEmpty( Needschedule ), so the button would only appear for those records where it applies.

Welcome to the future -- be sure to update your profile with your FileMaker version, it helps people answer your questions appropriately.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This topic is 2846 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.