This topic is 2847 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am beside myself. I got FMPro Advanced 14 and used it to redo a database.

I worked extensively on the database fields, the value lists, and created lots and lots of calculations to create merged dialogues on the pages.

After I did all of that, all by editing the pages that already existed, I created new layouts and used the button bar at the top and the tab-like sections below within each tab. I worked to transfer every bit of work I had done to the new layout and then deleted the old layouts.

Each time, as we know, we have to move from one place to another, it prompts you to save, and I always do. It was in browse mode, as I demonstrated it. It was open and my computer froze today, not while I was using it. When I opened it, every single change I made to new layouts were gone and all of the old layouts were in the database. If I didn't know better, it is almost like I did a 'save as" just before making all of those changes and now the whole file containing the new changes is simply gone from my harddrive. I am so upset. How can this possibly happen?

Edited by kathrynfw
made error in adding attachments

Unfortunately no. I just redid it all. I just am so afraid it will happen again. Fortunately, I realized I could be a lot more efficient this time around so getting back up to speed was a lot faster than I thought it would go. I AM going to back this up on time machine now!

• Newbies

Are you absolutely sure you didn't open a previous version of the file instead of the one you made changes to? I've had clients swear to me they were opening the only copy of the file on their computer only to find out they had several copies in different locations.

• Like 1

Take a look at this from the great mind of PhilModJunk, for automating backups while in production

https://community.filemaker.com/message/235498#235498

You will have to change the file path from .fp7 to your current file to .fmp12

Edited by Steve Martino
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks, folks. I ended up doing it all over again. Steve, your suggestion is intriguing. I have been doing it manually.

On 4/30/2016 at 10:22 AM, Steve Martino said:

Take a look at this from the great mind of PhilModJunk, for automating backups while in production

https://community.filemaker.com/message/235498#235498

You will have to change the file path from .fp7 to your current file to .fmp12

This topic is 2847 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.