Formatting Issues Creating Excel Files from Scribe

This topic is 2640 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First, I hope this is the right forum, as I did not see a specific one for Scribe. 

I'm excited about evaluating Scribe for creating Excel files that can include containers. So far, I've found that the template row height must be tall enough to fit the image, or else the row shrinks and the images end up looking kind of stacked. Also, they seem to be showing up in the column after where I wanted them, but scripting them to column B when I want them in C is an adequate work-around, at least for now. 

One problem I haven't solved is that the template formatting isn't holding. Some of it is - for instance, simple bold is working. But top alignment is not - except for my numbers. And a row 1 cell that should be bold and larger point is just coming out standard.

I saw there was another thread with a similar problem that was resolved with an update, but it was very old. I am using Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.15, FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.4, Excel 14.4.7, and Scribe 2.15 (demo for now). I realize this is not the most current configuration, but my clients are on PCs and will likely not be all up-to-date either.

Am I doing something wrong?

TIA, debi

Thanks, Ryan!

I am having mixed results. Also reverted to older plugin version to test and results are inconsistent with previous. Do you think it could matter how the cells in Excel are formatted - for instance, as a style, or as part of a whole row or column selection, or anything like that?

I'm going to try to do some more experimenting - - when I can.

Thanks again, debi

• 1 month later...

Your link to download Scribe 2182 is not working. Can you please post a new link?

Is there any way to prevent scribe from erasing the formatting of the Excel cell borders?

Edited by HALBURN

Hi Halburn,

I no longer have 2.182 but I have put 2.184 at that same link. As for the formatting of cell boarders, see if this new build helps you. If it does not then we can investigate to see if that is something that we can make Scribe do.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi Ryan,

I have had the same issue, but successfully resolved by download your revised scribe plugin from http://sc.360works.com/SuperContainer/Files/pro/360/scribe2182. It does work with my excel template under excel 2007.

Unfortunately, it is still failed under excel 2013 and excel 2010 as follow:

1. Cell formatting: good
2. Auto-calc cell: doesn't work. Related cell which has formula, doesn't calculate automatic every-time the value has been submit from filemaker.

Strange, as the auto-calc always works good under excel 2007 (with the same template), but not under excel 2010 nor excel 2013. I have to re-visit each cell, and hit enter to make the formula presents the result!

I am working on Windows 8 and Windows 10, using Filemaker Pro 14.

Any possible solution on this? Thanks in advance.

Hi Margono,

Scribe can not force Excel to recalculate formulas as all it does is write to underlying XML sheets. The recalculating of a cell is controlled by Excel. I suspect there is a setting you have set in 2007 that is not set in subsequent versions OR the functionality has just changed between versions. There are a few shortcut keys you can use to force all calculations. They are shown in the attached image from Microsofts Excel support page.

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 12.32.28 PM.png

• Newbies

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I had the same thought at the beginning,there could be something wrong with the excel apps.

Under excel 2007 all calc goes automatic, every formula related to value which has been submitted by scribe is resulting correctly, while under 2010 or 2013, no calculation is performed.

To make some test, I type in  the number directly with keyboard (in 2010 or 2013), and the formula does work, the results presented automatically, no need to do any keyboard shortcuts as you suggest.

Therefore, I post this in forum since this looks like the plugin triggers auto-calc only in 2007 but not under 2010 or 2013.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 2640 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.