FileMaker Pro 15 Improvements??!!!

This topic is 2873 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When 1 = Irrelevant and  5 = Significant

This is my opinion of FileMaker Pro 15,… what is your???!!

FileMaker Pro Improvements (https://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/):

• In-Products Updates » 1
  • Undo Scripting » 
  • Highlighted script errors » 3  
  • ESS Adapter » 1
  • Basic Starter Solutions » 0
  • Web-based Help » 0
  • Updated user interface » -5        Truly?  :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
  • Concealed edit box »  
  • Proactive security warnings » 1
  • Portal in-line progress bar »  1
  •  

Truly, in that version, i expect improvements in Relationships Graph,... In fact, it is not practical, nothing at all work with many tables at complex databases,… Up, down, left, right,… *******!!!!

At previous versions, already have Script Folders, Layout Folders,… why not "Relationships Graph Tabs or something else to simplify the work?!!!!

I'am very  :bang: :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Sorry FileMaker!!! this is my humble opinion,… I know, FileMaker Pro 15 is more faster, bla bla,…  but,…

Best regards

JC

Edited by joaocarlo

I don't think you're doing the update justice.  The scripting undo alone will make you smile many times over.  I've used it for the a few months now even in beta and I could never go back to not having that.

The ESS adapter too should be scored higher because it will allow FMI to deliver updates to ESS features without having to rev the whole product.

And you are missing significant pieces of functionality from your list:

- significantly improved script workspace: it's subtle but once you worked in it for a few weeks you'll never want to go back to 14

- wildcard and SAN SSL certificates

- full admin console support for creating the SSL CSR and importing the cert

- top call logging on FMS --> this is a MAJOR sleeper bit of functionality

- improved network performance

- touch ID for Go and iBeacons

• Like 2

Better security = +10

Better WAN/network performance = +10

Adjusted file caching ( fast open times ) = 5

I suppose it's all use-case stuff. But the release seems stable and fast so far. Not to be understated.

• Like 2

Hi Wim:

I don't know if I understood correctly, but from FMI website it does seem to be now possible to use FMPro as as from end to a SQL database w/o even using FM server (using the appropriate connector)

Is that correct?

Best regards

Carlos

Wim was referring to the adapter for ESS. It should allow FileMaker, Inc to add/extend ESS functionality without a full product release. That is how I read it.

Hi Josh:

What got me wondering was this:

Great when you want FileMaker users to directly read and/or write data to a SQL data source.

You will need to have an ODBC driver for the SQL source configured on each client machine.

sql_diagram_fmp.png

Which appears at 

External SQL Data Source Overview

Carlos

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I received the email this morning.  Not much in there for us.  We have no Mac Products & don't use the Web/App Features.

Overall, a 2.  Probably some nice features but nothing worth a new Version.  I'm sure the App/Web Developers will be happy, so that is good.  If it is faster, I'll give it a 3, overall.

I can't find the download though.  We already have licensing & can upgrade, with no costs.  Not in Downloads, on the website.  I'm certainly not paying to upgrade.

I don't really want to search all that hard to find the download.  That pretty much sums up my feelings on what I've read about the new features.

It's never in the downloads. Either download the trial, or if you are on maintenance or AVLA, you get an email with the download links.

I like the new security features quite a bit.  I might have implemented them somewhat differently.  But they are still a good improvement.

Top call logging for FileMaker Server is also an excellent addition.

A small item:  the ability to format an empty field's background and its placeholder text separately.

Multiple un-do in Script workspace will be very useful.

Stay tuned for more features in the future.

Steven

On 5/11/2016 at 9:15 PM, Josh Ormond said:

Better security = +10

Better WAN/network performance = +10

Adjusted file caching ( fast open times ) = 5

What were the security improvements? I have only been playing with it a few months.

I totally agree with Wim about the script workspace updates and the undo button. Its at least an 8.

I also really dislike the UI changes. The colors are nice, but changing long standing button appearances for the sake of it doesn't make me happy. The new inspector buttons aren't really my cup o tea either. I prefer the text as to what they were.

Pulled this straight off the help page. https://www.filemaker.com/help/15/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Fnew-features.html%23

Enhanced security
FileMaker Pro can verify SSL certificates before performing actions that open a file hosted on FileMaker Server, import XML data via an HTTP request, or send email via an SMTP server using an encrypted connection.
FileMaker Pro notifies you when a host’s SSL certificate cannot be verified. Choose to connect anyway, add the host to your permitted hosts list, or cancel. See Setting permitted hosts preferences.
Prevent other applications from using AppleScript or ActiveX to perform FileMaker scripts. See Editing extended privileges for a privilege set.
The Watch tab in the Data Viewer requires that you log in to an account that has full access privileges to view expressions. See Using the Data Viewer (FileMaker Pro Advanced).
Configure a solution to require users to use Touch ID or an iOS passcode before FileMaker Go can access its keychain. See Setting file options.

• 3 weeks later...

At a FM15 demo at an Apple store in Denver, the FM engineer told us that portals now have a separate thread. So if you navigate to a record with a portal to many related records, the local record data appears immediately and the portal data later, when it's ready. If you are navigating record-to-record in Form views of portal-laden records, the portal data does not have to fully load before advancing to next record. I don't see this mentioned in the FM15 Help new features page.  A significant performance enhancement.

This topic is 2873 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.