FM15 Windows - Mouse wheel not scrolling records

This topic is 2866 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In form view the mouse wheel is not scrolling through records... instead it is just scrolling the page up and down... how do you change?

Edited by liltbrockie

That's always been a difference between OS X and Windows.  On OS X, the scroll wheel never changes records, which is how I prefer it.   So I would welcome this change, personally, although I can see how you might miss it if you were used to it. 

On 11/05/2016 at 5:53 PM, Josh Ormond said:

If you hover over the record navigation area, does it scroll records there?

No it doesnt... There must be a way to change this!

Changed behavior.  I liked scrolling records with the mouse wheel too!

from this thread on the other website :https://community.filemaker.com/message/565021#565021

This was an intentional change with mind that scroll wheel should only scroll a layout or an object. This also matches behavior on OS X.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

Sorry for your loss, but you're the only people I've ever heard who liked mouse wheel scrolling. The rest of us HATED it. Users would wreak havoc on a regular basis by inadvertently switching records. The only way to stop it was to hide AND lock the toolbar. 

You should be able to map the ctrl-up and down arrows to the mouse wheel with AutoHotKey or something similar.

Everyone else hated it might be a bit of an assumption. I too like the mouse wheel scrolling and I imagine there are many others as well. Although I did find that I had to do some scripting and such to prevent the havoc you speak of, such as isolating the user to a found set of one record in situations where I did not want them to be able to navigate through any other records. I also regularly hid and locked the toolbar but I was doing that so the users would only have access to the tools I had scripted in the solution. Ultimately I guess I like the mouse wheel scroll for myself more than I like having it provided for my users. Lol!

You're right I can't speak for everyone. But still -- the convenience this may have afforded you is so far outweighed by the potential for damage. I'm trying to sympathize with your loss, but it's like you're the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz: sorry your sister got a house dropped on her, but hooray, the witch is dead!

It scrolls... the portals.  The Layout does not scroll.  We have a lot of data, and we live by the scrolling.  As best I can recall, it has always been that way.

Definitely not upgrading.  15 does not offer us much, if anything, & the lack of scrolling is wicked irritating.  At the very least, they could have added an option in Preferences.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't expect that this change will be reverted in any upcoming releases so you my find that you will have to make the adjustment at some point, otherwise you will be forever stuck at FM 14. You may just be postponing the inevitable.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a preference.

Maybe a plugin developer will step up.

Or, use AutoHotKey.

For FM 14 clients complained about scroll wheel switching records. So I added plugin functions to MBS Plugin to prevent that: FM.DisableMouseWheel

Now for FM 15 FileMaker changed behavior and people complain again. So I made a script trigger for mouse wheel: FM.MouseWheelScriptTrigger

So via plugin you can do this.

• Like 1

This topic is 2866 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.