lenomadecom2

Filemaker 15 - petition against new licensing model

4 posts in this topic

Following the launch of the new version of filemaker 15, May 2016, the database becomes prohibitive for Filemaker developer, clients or hosting industry. This industry may cease to exist because customers simply all may migrate to other technology.
Help us convince Filemaker and Apple to reconsider their license business model and keep them at acceptable costs for customers and service providers.

https://www.change.org/p/philippe-waterloos-modification-de-la-licence-filemaker-15

Did you check out the "Legacy Pricing Options"?  

I'd migrate away in a heartbeat if only there was a platform with mostly similar features. As I understand there are none at the moment, that's why they can keep the product horrendously overpriced. It's a small market so they probably don't care and growing with lowering prices is a huge risk and involves a lot of effort and they probably don't want to go anywhere out of their comfort zone.

On 5/18/2016 at 8:48 AM, Buckie said:

I'd migrate away in a heartbeat if only there was a platform with mostly similar features. As I understand there are none at the moment, that's why they can keep the product horrendously overpriced. It's a small market so they probably don't care and growing with lowering prices is a huge risk and involves a lot of effort and they probably don't want to go anywhere out of their comfort zone.

The only thing that is crazy expensive is the stuff FileMaker is no good at anyway; high load at high speeds. FileMaker is good at massaging small chunks of data visually, and for generating reports from smaller amounts of data( less than 10 million records ) not to mention the quick development of user interface for it's platforms. You are better off writing your own publish scripts to communicate with other databases for web such as: REDIS, PostgreSQL, couchDB, SOLR/elasticsearch. I write my publishing scripts in XSLT and use XML export to accomplish the action.

I believe the high prices is a polite way to say no interested in doing those features.

Edited by ggt667

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By FoggyMt
      My client is using FM Server 14. On it I have a web form that is accessible to the public. It requires no user name or password...it's entirely open via guest login.
      I have server scripts that import the data entered into a broader ticketing solution that is locked down. The tickets are then deleted in the guest-accessed file. We are now looking at upgrading to FM Server 15 and the new licensing model.  I have a sinking solution that this kind of approach is untenable with FM's new paradigm.
      Is this approach broken w/FM Server 15...requiring me to use something like Google Forms for data capture?
    • By typewriter
      Is there any background information available on how the new FileMaker Licensing for Teams (FLT) works? And I don't mean the sales stuff that you can find on the FMI website.
      I am very interested in differences between 'old style' concurrent licenses and the new FLT scheme, and what information is actually used to identify and validate a licensed user. There is a lot of confusion among developers on this matter and we need to advise our customers based on the right information, don't we?

• By BC2015
      First-time setting up a complex (or what I think is complex) database, and really could use some help. The idea is to be able to create an inventory of Computers, Peripherals, Software, and Software Licenses, (and where each is installed/located), along with the Purchase Order information for each item, and the Vendor for each P.O.
      Here's how I sort of see it breaking down, but I'm confused as to how to setup the tables and relationships:

One Computer can have many Purchase Orders associated with it.
      One Computer can have many Vendors/Manufacturers/Sales Reps associated with it.
      One Computer can have many pieces of Software installed on it
      One Computer may have many Peripherals
      One Computer can have many Change Log entries associated with it.

One piece of Software (software title) can be installed on many Computers
      One piece of Software can have many Licenses associated with it
      One piece of Software can have many Purchase Orders associated with it.
      One piece of Software can have many Vendors/Manufacturers/Sales Reps associated with it.
      One piece of Software can have many Change Log entries associated with it.

One License can be installed on only one Computer at a time
      One License can have only one piece of Software associated with it.
      One License will have only one Purchase Order associated with it.
      One License can only have one Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep associated with it.
      One License can have many Change Log entries associated with it.

One Peripheral can only be installed on one Computer at a time
      One Peripheral can only have one Purchase Order associated with it.
      One Peripheral can only have one Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep associated with it.
      One Peripheral can have many Change Log entries associated with it.

One Purchase Order can have many Licenses, Peripherals, and/or Computers associated with it.
      One Purchase Order can have only one Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep associated with it.
      One Purchase Order can have many Change Log entries associated with it.

One Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep can have many Purchase Orders associated with them.
      One Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep can have many Computers associated with them.
      One Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep can have many Peripherals associated with them.
      One Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep can have many pieces of Software associated with them.
      One Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep can have many Licenses associated with them.
      One Vendor/Manufacturer/Sales Rep can have many Change Log entries associated with them.

Change log is: A manually-created list of notes for any changes, upgrades, problems, maintenance events, etc. performed for the entire department. Needs to be filterable/sortable by Date, Computer, Peripheral, Software, License, P.O., Vendor, and/or type of event. Event types would be from a manually-created value list.
      Would be great if I could have a layout specifically for entering these events. Also, not sure how I would go about entering events if one event affects multiple computers or peripherals at the same time. I might have to just make duplicate entries (one for each piece of equipment) to link an event to each piece of equipment it affects?

I've begun setting up tables for:
      - Computers
      - Software
      - Licenses
      - Peripherals
      - Installations (join table joining everything?)
      - Vendors/Manufacturers/Sales Reps
      - Purchase Orders
      - Change Log (not sure what fields I need in this) 

I'm also trying to figure out the Primary Keys and Foreign Keys, how the relationships should work, and how I can create a layout for let's say Computers that will show me:
      - Computer info (computer name, location, hardware specs from the Computers table)
      - P.O. number for Computer (from the P.O. table)
      - List of installed licenses (including software name/version, license number, vendor, and P.O. associated with that license) (portal to the Licenses table, filtered by ComputerID?)
      - LIst of installed peripherals (including the type of peripheral, manufacturer, name/serial number, vendor/P.O., date of install) (portal to the Peripherals table, filtered by ComputerID?)
      - Change Log list for that computer, sortable by date and/or type of change. (portal to the Change Log table, filtered by ComputerID?)

And a layout for Software that will show me:
      - Software name/Version
      - Type of Software (standalone software, software plugin, etc.)
      - List of Licenses associated with this Software (including software name/version, license number, vendor, and P.O. associated with that license) (portal to the Licenses table, filtered by SoftwareID?)

And a layout for Vendors/Manufacturers/Sales Reps that will show me:
      - Vendor Contact info (sales rep name, phone, email, website, etc.)
      - List of P.O.s associated with this Vendor, sortable by date, and expandable to see the individual items within that P.O. (such as license numbers and where those licenses are installed, or peripherals and where those peripherals are installed)

If anyone has any advice, I sure would love the help. Thanks.
    • By dbservices
      Do you have a FileMaker Server with connections for WebDirect/FileMaker Go? Read this article to learn more about how you can save money before price increases in May!
      FileMaker Server Connections Renewal Price Increase

David Happersberger
      www.dbservices.com
    • By Joe King
      Background...

Worldcloud routinely resales FileMaker licensing to it's clients. Other than our monthly and/or shared server clients, it is a better value for our clients to purchase AVLA licensing as opposed to renting licensing monthly from Worldcloud. This in fact is part of the reason why FileMaker created the FBA program. Once a year we renew the majority of our FileMaker licesning with AVLA licensing. This year, our annual PO is due on Dec 22, 2013. Normally, our users would not care when our licensing renews, as we can resale new licensing at any time through the FileMaker FBA website. The 'catch' this year is that FileMaker has been particualrly generous with the 'conversion' of FileMaker Server Advanced licenses. Not only is the least expensive SKU to get 25 concurrent licenses, but they are also allowing us to increase of these licenses as long as the increase is done on the same aggreement as an existing FileMaker Server Advanced AVLA order, placing us in a unique position to make 'awesome' deals to our clients.

Offer...

Since Worldcloud has the ability to purchase multiple FileMaker Server Advanced / FileMaker 13 Server + 25 Concurrent license on Dec 22 under FMI's current upgrade policy, we are offering 'almost half price' on a license which FMI normally sells for $1,848. This is a one year, AVLA license.

Offer #1

$999 for FileMaker Server 13 + 25 Concurrent licenses

think of it as WebDirect/ Go for under $28 per user!!!

for use on any FileMaker Server- including your local servers

offer expires Dec 21, 2013

Offer #2

$799 for FileMaker Server 13 + 25 Concurrent licenses

think of it as WebDirect/ Go for under $20 per user!!!

when ordered with a Worldcloud Dedicated FileMaker Server**

offer expires Dec 21, 2013

Offer #3

20% Off on Annual Service Plans at Worldcloud

Shared, Dedicated, and/or virtual clients

expires on Dec 31, 2013

Why...

We have our own reasons:

We realize the number of licenses we purchase from FileMaker is part of the critera used to determine whether a vendor may be considered for FBA Partner status
      If we sell enough of these licenses, we can get better 'Tier pricing' on our entire order and will save us money on other licenses on this order.
      It's a way to promote Dedicated FileMaker Servers from Worldcloud
      It's a way to stop (some) of the compaining about FileMaker's new pricing
      It makes us money - not much, but about what we would normally make off reselling a FMI Server license
      It's an oppotunity to sell additional licensing- we give (modest) discounts on all FileMaker licensing- call/email for quote
      We are in a position (as an AVLA FileMaker Server Advanced license holder) which many other users do not qualify

Normally, we do not go into the specific details of our license renewals in a public forum; however, in this case we felt that if users understood the situation they are more adpt to beleive the creditbiltiy of our offers...

** see Worldcloud.com for pricing of dedicated servers, price not included as part of 'Offer #2'. Monthly and annual pricing available

http://worldcloud.com for more info

865-384-8353 sales

joe@worldcloud.com