Help: Re-linking an external data source for a solution not working

This topic is 2368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Turning to the forum for assistance on this as neither the built-in documentation and external sources seem to provide a working solution to this problem.

Can anyone point me to a clear process for re-linking an external file source (data file)  where the solution has previously been saved with the external data source reference removed?

I am making a cut-down copy of a production database from copies of a two-file linked solution. Despite repeated attempts to specify the files as linked to each other under Manage> External Data Sources the external data source is not found.

Advice I Googled suggested going into Manage>Database>Tables and looking for italicised tables with "Data Source Missing" messages and that they could be re-linked from there. This is not the case, the interface file does not list external tables in the tables tab (and doesn't on the original working solution either). The Relationship Graph does show tables from the linked solution and has marked them as "Data Source Missing".

Surely there is a straightforward way to re-link a file with foreign TO references with the external file that defines them? I've tried re-linking to the file multiple times under Manage > External Data Sources but it has no effect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1 year later...

This topic is 2368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.