Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How make data from one field to show elsewhere?

This topic is 2891 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello there,

I've just started using FM Starting Point as a guide for my own app, and so far I have learned a few very important things from it, so thank you for that right away.

Now, one of the things I was trying to do is to have the First and Last names to appear together in a Text only field. Let me try to be more specific. In the Contacts tab of FM Starting Point, there are the First and Last Name fields to the left, and to the right, next to the photo, the names appear ordered in a separate Text field. How can I do that?

I hope I was able to explain what I mean. Thank you so much.

All the best,

Rui

Hello Rui,

To do this, you need to:

-  Define a new field (File --> Manage --> Database or Command+Shift+D)

-  Type the name of the new field

-  Make it a text field

-  Select "Field Options" on the far right

-  Check the Box labeled "Calculated Value"

-  Paste the following without the parenthesis (Name_First & " " & Name_Last)

-  Press "OK"

-  Select "OK" again

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

• Newbies

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the quick reply. I think I got a part of it right, but it's not the result I was expecting. I went through all the steps, and I do end up with a field showing the information from another field, but it's just a regular field that I can even input new info in.

In the FM Starting Point contacts tab, the Full Name, as well as the Company, show up next to the photo of the Contact, but I can't edit them, and that's what I was looking for.

In edit mode, these fields show up like this <<Name_Full>> and  <<Account_Name>>, but mine show simply as any other field. Is there anything else I have to do? Or probably I didn't explain it right the first time. Sorry if that was the case, and thank you for your patience.

All the best,

Rui

Hello Rui,

You have 2 options for making a field Non-editable:

The filed you see in Contacts are what are called Merge Fields, they can simply be created by going to "Insert" at the top menu

and selecting "Merge Field" you will then be prompted to select the field you want displayed.

Additionally, you can take a regular field, and go into Layout Mode ("Edit Layout" button on the top right, or command + L) selecting

the field, going to the "Data" tab in the Inspector, and unchecking the Box that says "Browse Mode" under the "Data Entry" section.

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

3 hours ago, Rui Guerreiro said:

In edit mode, these fields show up like this <<Name_Full>> and  <<Account_Name>>, but mine show simply as any other field. Is there anything else I have to do? Or probably I didn't explain it right the first time. Sorry if that was the case, and thank you for your patience.

The "<<  >>" notation indicates that the display is indeed a merge field, as Jonathan mentioned. Merge fields allow you to display field contents in static text blocks (which cannot be edited by a user). 

In layout mode, move the cursor to the desired location in the text block and choose Insert->Merge Field...

This topic is 2891 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.