Upgrade/Update or Complete Rewrite?

This topic is 2840 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I wrote an MIS  for an Industrial Gas Piping Quality Control Company in 1996 based on FileMaker 5 and FileMaker Server 5. I am proud to say it has run with very few issues (under 10) that interrupted business for more than a few hours over the last 20 years. It saved the business $1mill in staff costs and they never lost one cent on any bid they made for work over those years.

The business is being sold, the hardware is getting long in the tooth, and I need to know if there is an upgrade path, multi-step as it may need to be, or do I have to rewrite the entire system?

I took all their manual paperwork and wrote the underlying code (scripts & calculations) for each field then connected all the paperwork together as needed. It goes from bidding, to quality certifications, to invoicing. It is not web connected, but was deployed in three states when Silicon Valley and their clone manufacturing communities were booming ten years or so ago.

Thanks.

Edited by LosTraxx
Typos/Word changes

5 hours ago, LosTraxx said:

I need to know if there is an upgrade path, multi-step as it may need to be, or do I have to rewrite the entire system?

There is a two-step conversion path: first you need to convert your .fp5 file/s to .fp7, using any version of FileMaker Pro between 7 and 11. Then you can convert the resulting file/s to the current .fp12 format by opening them in any version from 12 and up.

However, the first step of the conversion is not trivial and - depending on your actual solution - there might be adjustments to be made; see a brief overview here: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750 and for more details: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6823/kw/migration white paper

The other obstacle is that apparently FMI no longer offer a trial version of FileMaker Pro 11 for downloading as they used to do for this very purpose.

Edited by comment

Fantastic to know that there is a multi-step path, and I do understand and appreciate there may be some finesse involved. I will read up thoroughly. My solution is not very sophisticated, so my simple approach may be a savior in this instance.

Kindest regards.

• 1 month later...

Working out exceptionally well, very few issues, mainly artifacts on layouts. Has given us the opportunity to refresh the entire look and feel of the solution.

So I am very happy, thanks for your help, support and guidance.

This topic is 2840 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.