This topic is 2528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

What I would like to do is link contacts to contacts with a specific role attached. The example would be a family signing up for services, I'd like to say enter the mom, dad, and kids and then link the mom & dad to the kids so when you look up the dad/mom you'd see they are connected to the kids.  Additionally, I'd like to add the role, so in the case it would be 'mother' or 'father' of the connected contact.

When I tried to take the 'add connected contact' from another tab (say account table) it says it isn't related.  But the question is, since I am linking a contacts table to itself, how would this work?

Thanks!

Edited by xfiring

xfiring,

There isn't exactly a "simple" way of doing this. But here is what I would do:

1.) Create the following fields in the "Contact" Table (File --> Manage --> Database while in the contacts module):

-  ID_Family: a number field, after created select the field, select "Options"(Bottom Right) and select Serial Number "On Creation"

-  Family_Name: Just a test field

-  Relation: Another text field

2.) Create a relationship from CONTACTS to CONTACTS based on the field ID_Family:

-  File --> Manage --> Database -->Relationships

-  Press the "Add" button (Bottom Leftmost button)

-  Select CONTACTS from the list

-  Draw a line (by clicking and dragging) from ID_Family in the contacts Table Occurance you just created to ID_Family in the Contacts Table Occurance that already exists in the graph. (You can scroll through existing fields by pressing the little arrow at the bottom center of the TO)

3.)  Copy Script "(0602) Relating an Account" (File --> Manage --> Scripts, find the mentioned script, and press "command/Ctrl" + "D")

4.)  In the Script copy, double click line 11

5.)  Select "Specify" on the Value Line

6.)  Replace the value "T05_CONTACTS::id_account" with your new field "ID_Family" by highlighting "T05_CONTACTS::id_account" and then selecting "ID_Family" from the list on the left.

7.)  Change line 14 from (0300) to (0303)

8.)  Save your Changes

9.) Anytime you want to relate a family, run this script and select the person they are related too.

WARNING: USING THIS METHOD, YOU MUST RELATE EVERY FAMILY MEMBER TO THE SAME PERSON

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

• 11 months later...
  • Newbies

Thanks Jonathan, sorry to bring this back up but this worked till I got towards the bottom and the options were different than what was in FM starting point.  I am on FMSP 5 and would still like to accomplish this or look at how involved it would be to create links (many to many), one person can be linked to other people.  Kind of like Seedcode's John is associated with as his father and then Erick is associated with John as his son.

Hello xfiring,

This may be a little much to cover strictly over text. Why don't you email us at [email protected], and we can talk to you about some different options available to get this all sorted out.

Ask for me personally, and I'll make sure we help you out the best we can.

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

This topic is 2528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.