Filtered Value list with a single condition

abby_md

This topic is 2866 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi! Sorry a bit new to this still, but I have one table which contains several variables: DateOfConsult and ConsultType (InPatient or OutPatient). I have a layout for data entry in Form View and second layout in a List View. In the List View, I wanted to create a dropdown menu showing the DateOfConsult and the list will show all the people who consulted for that day. For the value list I have two objectives: 1. To show only the dates with OutPatient Consults. 2. To sort value list with the dates in descending order. 

Hope someone can help! Thank you!

This is confusing. First you say

1 hour ago, abby_md said:

the list will show all the people who consulted for that day

(presumably "that day" would be the date you have entered into the DateOfConsult field?) But then you say:

1 hour ago, abby_md said:

To show only the dates with OutPatient Consults

A list of people - or list of dates?

Is this on the right track.  On the dropdown, I don't know how to show a drop down, based on a value list, to sort by dates>descending.  I looked at a custom function or 2.  If anyone knows, it's Comment

SORT.fmp12

Edited by Steve Martino

• Newbies

Comment: Thank you and sorry about my vague explanation.:D

"the list will show all the people who consulted for that day" - I meant the layout in list view. For this layout, I need a value list.

"To show only the dates with OutPatient Consults" - This is referring to the Value list, is supposed to show a list of DateOfConsult

This is what i meant:

I have a database with several variables including DateOfConsult, PatientName, ConsultType ("InPatient" or "OutPatient"), ConsultDetails. Data entry is on a different form layout. "OutPatient" consults only happen during Tuesdays and Fridays, whereas InPatient consults can happen any day.

At the top of the list layout, I placed a drop down. For the value list of this dropdown, I was hoping to show only dates which have an "OutPatient" ConsultType.

I guess its kind of like a value list with only one condition based on a different variable? Sorry, was that a better explanation? :mellow:

--------------------------

Thank you Steve!

But I was hoping to see only the dates with a certain type of Consult. For your file for example, the value list should only show dates with an initial visit.

10 hours ago, abby_md said:

For the value list of this dropdown, I was hoping to show only dates which have an "OutPatient" ConsultType.

Defining a value list of only OutPatient dates would be quite easy - just define a calculation field = If ( ConsultType = "OutPatient" ; DateOfConsult ) and base the value list on that.

Sorting the values in descending order would be very difficult, if at all possible. I would suggest you look for another way to accomplish the task that the drop-down is supposed to serve - perhaps a script that advances the field's value to the next/previous Tuesday/Friday?

--
P.S. In FileMaker, fields are one thing and variables another.

This topic is 2866 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.