Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Active Directory Data

This topic is 2862 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm using Active directory to differentiate between my user accounts and their privileges. I was just wondering if there was a way that filemaker can identify a person (User Table) based on their account name so I can pull their details (name, Department etc) into a layout when they log in without having to store the username in a field in the user table which then links to a global table storing the login accountname.

TIA

Ann

Hi Ann,

You can achieve a lot of that by querying the AD through the command line.  Look at the DSquery utility.  If you are proficient in OS-level scripting then this should be easy.  You can get it executed through the native Send Event script step or use a plugin like the free BaseElements to run it.

The OS script itself can be entirely constructed dynamically from your FM data and output to the temp folder where it can be executed.

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid I'm not all that proficient in OS-level scripting but would like to give this a go as it would save a lot of time trying to maintain usernames in more than one place. Would you be able to give me some pointers in how to go about doing this?

TIA
Ann

This topic is 2862 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.