ron G

After portal row 'click' focus goes to top

ron G    1

I have a portal that has about 100 'names' in it. This list is longer than the portal is 'tall' so the user must scroll down to find a name. After the user scolls down to find 'Smith' and clicks it, the portal 'scroll elevator' jumps back to the top.

I would like the portal 'elevator' to stay showing 'Smith'

I have set "Reset scroll bar when exiting porgram" OFF but it doesn't help.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron

efen    6

Use/amend the script on your portal button that includes

Set Variable [ $row ; Get ( ActivePortalRowNumber ) ]

Go To Related Record [ portal_relationship ; use the current layout ]

Go To Portal Row [ Select ; First ]

Go to Portal Row [ by calculation $row ; no dialog ]

Leave checkboxes unticked on show only related and matching found set

Be aware that this only works when there is just one portal on the layout

ron G    1

You say your 'fix' "...only works when there is just one portal on the layout." Rats! I have a cartesian join from one portal and a related portal on the same layout.

I added the script above but even though debug showed it working... it did not. I suppose it is because of the additional portal on the layout?

This begs another question: "What does the portal setup option "Reset Scroll Bar When Exiting" do? I have checked and unchecked it with apparent affect.

LaRetta    479

the portal 'scroll elevator' jumps back to the top.

Just to be sure we are on same page, you mean that the portal jumps back to the first portal record when you leave the portal?

I have a cartesian join from one portal and a related portal on the same layout.

Normally it should work, Ron. Do you have field triggers on the layout anywhere or triggers at the layout level? Also, what are the tabs doing? If next in tab order is first field in the portal then it might be returning 'home.'

Just some things to check. We might need to see the file to fully understand what is happening :^)

Update: I removed the comment about the Cartesian product join. I had Cartesians on the brain and meant that reset scroll isn't available if vertical scroll is removed.

Edited by LaRetta

LaRetta    479

If you are not in tabs, and you have two portals to the same table, then Go To Portal [] depends upon stacking order. You can issue it again to move to the other portal but it will break if you ever change the stacking order of the portals or add another portal. Try using Go To Object [ portal ] before the first Go To Portal to force it to stay with the portal you wish, first.

But none of this should be necessary with a simple setup so I think there are other things happening here ...

ron G    1

LaRetta,

hmmm. I just 'restacked' the portal (It is in the 'front'). Same result.

Maybe I should explain the 'setup'

I have a layout based on the Members Table: name, address etc...

I have a TO called MemberList based on Members. My portal is based on MembersList X with Members.

The portal just has the Members Name. (David Crockett in the example is highlighted) When clicked, the portal does a GTRR and the Members full record comes up.

This all works well.

The problem is the portal shows 31 records. If I scroll down to a last name of Zinker and click, his whole records shows in Members (as it should) but then the scroll bar zooms to the top of the portal. Zinker is still highlighted in the portal but I can't see it because the(^*&%$@ scroll bar has brought up the 1st 31 records.....

post-72145-0-91827900-1331262146_thumb.j

This all seems pretty straight forward so I can't imagine 'what else might be in going on'.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron

ron G    1

If you are not in tabs, and you have two portals to the same table, then Go To Portal [] depends upon stacking order. You can issue it again to move to the other portal but it will break if you ever change the stacking order of the portals or add another portal. Try using Go To Object [ portal ] before the first Go To Portal to force it to stay with the portal you wish, first.

But none of this should be necessary with a simple setup so I think there are other things happening here ...

YES! I just used your idea of go to OBJECT Prior to the Goto Portal Row [first] and it worked. I am pleased but amazed. I had brought the portal to the 'front' of the stacking order but it didn't make a differrence. Apparently I needed to be specific in which object (portal) I was specifying. And, when failing to do that my script issued a 'refresh' which brought the scroll bar back to the top. (at least that's my theory).

Thank you LaRetta!

Tattwam    0

1). Give name to portal (say Portal1)

2). Set variable $$row - Get(ActivePortalRowNumber)

3). Set variable $$object - Portal1

3). Go to related record (Any layout)

When returning to original layout:

1). Go to object : $$object

2). Go to portal row : $$row

Try it.. It worked for me...!!