Sign in to follow this  
ywwy

Export Filemaker pro 13 data to Filemaker Pro 11

ywwy    0

Hi,

We have a FMP Server 11 and a FMP 13 version.  

We cannot upgrade the FM Server 11 to 13.

We need to get FM13 data into the FMServer 11.

Are there ways to accomplish this ?

- Export records script from FM13

- ODBC connection between FM11 and FM13 ?

Thanks for looking into my question.  

Lee Smith    145

Hi ywwy, and Welcome to the Forum,

I moved this topic from "FileMaker Pro 11" to "Upgrading & Migration”, because we have this topic available for questions about migration. Also, the General Topics are reserved for questions about the new tools, features, and functions that were introduced with that version of FileMaker.

These two versions of FileMaker are not compatible, they are written in two different languages, and 13 is not backwards compatible. In other words, Server 11 can not host 13 files and Server 13 can not host 11 files. 

HTH,

Lee

ywwy    0

Hello Lee,

Thank you for your reply.

So I drop the idea of exporting records using a script.

Still I wonder if FMP13 is aware of what Client is quering it using ODBC.

If (from the point of view of FM11) I consider FMP13 as being an external database (such as SQL of MySQL), can I communicate with it using ODBC ?

Regards

Olivier

Lee Smith    145

So I drop the idea of exporting records using a script.

I didn’t say that, in fact, you can script an export of your data using one of the text formats, which could then be imported as a text file into v11. A lot of work. 

Lee

comment    1,372

Can you explain in more detail what are you trying to accomplish here? Migrating your data (once) from FMP13 to FMP11 is quite easy, using export and import. If you plan to maintain your data in FMP13 and serve it in FMS11 on an ongoing basis, then IMHO you are looking for trouble.

ywwy    0

Hi,

Am I looking for trouble ? that is indeed what I need to know.   :)

I thought of keeping 2 databases.   The main one in FMP11Server and a tiny one in FMP13.   

Upgrading FMP11server to FMP13server would mean an upgrade of server / client hardware + operating systems . 10 machines.

So I am trying to have the extra functionality of FMP13 without rising the bill to unreasonable hights.

Because the databases are small and the exchange of data between the 2 versions is also limited (1 table) I was considering ODBC.

Has this been done before ?

I would appreciate your expert opinion

Regards

Olivier

comment    1,372
Upgrading FMP11server to FMP13server would mean an upgrade of server / client hardware + operating systems . 10 machines.

You have 10 FMP clients? What do they all do with regard to this database? Do they just stare at it or do they modify it in any way? If the latter, how will you propagate these changes back to your .fm12 file? I am afraid this makes even less sense to me than I thought.

So I am trying to have the extra functionality of FMP13

Such as?

ywwy    0

Hello,

Sorry if I am confusing you. I am just discovering the client/server architecture of Filemaker and might mis some fundamentals.

Thanks again for looking into my question.

The FMP11 clients do indeed modify the FMP11 database server.

Essentially I am indeed looking for a way to propagate the changes made in the .fm12 file to the .fp7 and back.

The main flow (2MB pictures) would be from .fm12 --> to .fm7 . A smaller flow (plain text) would be back .fm7 --> .fm12. They have no common fields, so no synchronisation issues.

As I said earlier it is a small amount of data (20 pictures a day).

Lee suggested (and discouraged) to export and import it again. This is indeed very cumbersome an not a road I plan to take.

Is ODBC between 2 different versions of FM a possibility ? Has it been done before ?

Extra functionality :

- Webdirect with better container field (now I am working with the 360works solution in IWP)

- maybe filemaker go (with FMServer13).

Regards

Olivier

comment    1,372

Extra functionality :

- Webdirect with better container field (now I am working with the 360works solution in IWP)

- maybe filemaker go (with FMServer13).

Well, this is the most confusing part, I guess. Are you planning on running FM Server 13 in parallel with FM Server 11? You started by saying:

We cannot upgrade the FM Server 11 to 13.

Without FM Server 13 you will not get any of the extra functionality you mentioned.

The main flow (2MB pictures) would be from .fm12 --> to .fm7 .

Do you mean actual image files embedded in container fields?

ywwy    0

We cannot upgrade our current FMServer11 to FMServer13 because we would need to upgrade the OS Software + hardware of clients also.

We would install a new FMServer13 on a seperate machine.

Thx, good to know.

I would like more or less the same functionality I am getting now with 360works.  

I also recently discovered working with IFrames is better in Webdirect.

But even if that is not the case I would still like to know :  

Is ODBC between 2 different versions of FM a possibility ? Has it been done before ?

Regards

Olivier

comment    1,372
Is ODBC between 2 different versions of FM a possibility ?

I don't know for sure. I cannot see any reason why not - after all, as you said, an OBDC client is an ODBC client and the data source should not care who the client is as long it's set up properly. Note that there is a lot of setting up to do, if both servers are to function both as a client and as a data source.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jeff M
      Hello,
      I've done quite a bit with FileMaker in the past, but have never jumped into the XML arena. Now I have a need to do so, and I'm really needing some help with something I'm sure is quite basic...but still foreign to me. I have an external data source which export XML in a very specific format (see attached). I need to import that into FileMaker so I can manipulate the data, do some various lookups, etc. Once I've made my changes in the data, I need to export in the exact format it was when imported so the external data source can properly import.
      Not sure if it makes sense to import into 2 tables (workflows, workflow steps) or just a single table. I'm open either way. Once the data is in FileMaker I can get all my calculations and lookups and scripts going and make the data what I need it to be, but then I'll need to export it.
      Can someone point me in the right direction?
      Thanks so much in advance!
      Jeff
      workflows_export.xml
    • By rt916
      I assist with a FMP 11 database that manages projects and related data, about 10,000 projects currently.
      I setup a new tool that tracks a ADL requirement with a simple YES/NO drop down value list. Users choose if the project requires ADL tracking by selecting YES/NO, and we have a layout that lists all 10,000 projects with the ADL requirement that shows YES, NO or empty value. This layout also shows lots of other project records that are searchable without error.
      I am trying to perform a Find on this layout to display all values with YES selected, or NO selected. The appropriate relationship is setup on the graph so my list shows all 10,000 projects, and other records that are searchable, but my YES/NO value list gives me a  "No records match the find criteria." Before I write a script with a button I am testing the find function steps first, and I keep getting the same error.
      I open the layout, click show all (10,000) records.
      I click Find then click the ADL Requirement and click either YES or NO.
      I click Perform Find and get the No records match this criteria error.
      This seems to be a very simple operation, to search records in the database, and for the life of me I cannot find why it isn't working!!
      Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!
    • By Tony Morosco
      I'm a botanist, and the tables I am working with are for tracking botanical garden collections. The data represents plants in the garden, and the plants are tagged and show up in the database.  The tables I am working with were created in FMP 7, and I'd like to open them up in FMP 11 (or later.)  The system hasn't been used in years, but still has valuable information.
      One of the tables is giving me problems using the FMP convert and recover commands.
      These tables are all inter-related.  The main table is the Accessions table, which contains records for all of one kind of plant, from the same source, received on the same date.  It is basically a museum standard.
      The other tables are related to each other through this one main table.  The Species table is related to the locations table through the Accessions table. 
      (i.e.  table A relates to table C through the table B, the intermediary)  
      From the Locations table, we can't see the the species information unless the accessions table is present.
      When issuing the open command on the main table to convert the database to FMP 11, I get the message:
      "Accessions.fmp7" is damaged and cannot be opened.  Use the Recover command to recover this file. When using the Recover command from v. 11, I get another message:
      WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  Please review the Recover.log file to see where problems were found and their severity.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file. Recovery results:   File blocks: scanned and rebuilt 563 blocks, dropped 214 invalid data blocks.   Schema: scanned fields and tables, 1 items modified   Structure: scanned; 1 items modified   Field indexes: rebuilt  
      Opening the recovered database, there are only three records present.  There should be hundreds.  So obviously I am looking on how to wrangle this database open.
      I've attached the log file here, as well as the database structure map.  
      The other files have converted just fine.  But since the main table won't open, we are kind of stuck.
      I can share the files with you through Dropbox or whatever, if needed.
      Please let me know any thoughts you have, either basic or advanced.  And ask for any clarifications or additional questions.   :-)  
      Thanks!
      -Tony
      Recover.log

• By dkey
      IN my db I have the following fields
      IMAGE (CONTAINS 14 FRAMES FROM A MOV FILES AS A JPG FILE)
      FILEPATH (TEXT FILE AS FOLLOWS: file://Data/Videos/MVI_9887.MOV)
      VIDEO A Container file where I would like to see the "file://Data/Videos/MVI_9887.MOV"
      In the DB I have several different records how can I create a SCRIPT AS SUCH
      GO TO FIELD VIDEO
      OPEN file://Data/Videos/MVI_9887.MOV
      I Don't want to keep the video file in the db but only look at it when needed
      The various INSERT QUICKTIME, URL and so on require me to set the actual file path for each MOVIE file and this is time consuming as I have more than 1200 records, therefore 1200 movie path to insert
      Anu help?
      Thanks a lot
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.