Jump to content

ArchFile

Members
  • Content Count

    16
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About ArchFile

  • Rank
    member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Ha ha! It worked! That is, your instructions from earlier were very clear, but since I am inexperienced (what is a self-join relationship? How do portals work again?...etc...) it took me time to figure out exactly what to do. Now it makes perfect sense why you said to enter all related contexts as a return-separated list into a single text field. THANK YOU for sticking this out with me, the archaeology gods are looking down upon you favorably.
  2. Just to clarify before I get started: Can I still generally follow the steps you laid out but maintain the individual fields (one context to each field) or will this method only work if I enter the contexts into a single field as a return-separated list as you suggested? Thanks a bunch.
  3. Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. You make a good point on combining the related contexts into a single field. That does make practical sense. The only downside to this is that the flowchart layout is based on existing conventions in archaeological data recording (albeit I am taking a recoding method traditionally written on a paper form and trying to digitize it in filemaker). The related contexts, as shown in my mini flowchart, will be used as a guide to create a master flow chart, or "matrix" of all excavated contexts, which ends up looking like a giant tree (this is created in
  4. That's right, a context can be related to any number of other contexts. 1. Yes, 233 can be legitimately selected as the earlier context to more than one context. 2. I think the answer to this question is no, or at least I can't think of anything. In terms of your specific example, the order does not matter: I named each field with a 1 2 and 3 only to have a unique name for each of these field in the database.
  5. Thank you for the response. There are currently no joined relationships, although I am wondering if that is something I need to do to achieve what I want? Concerning the setup, I can imagine it seems weird, and I'll try to better explain because it may help find a solution. I'll try to spare you a boring archaeology lesson, but some explanation seems warranted to explain the logic here. Also, apologies on not knowing all of the Filemaker terminology, I am still learning. The three "C_earlier" entries located above the current record's "Context" are not the three most recent records, nor are
  6. Just checking back in to say the straight up "Substitute" command worked perfectly, thank you both so much!! Easy and straightforward.
  7. Hi everyone. What I am attempting seems like it would be relatively easy for an advanced user but I can't figure out how to do it on my own. I don't think I have the proper vocabulary to fully describe the steps I want to take, so I will use screenshots to help illustrate what it is I want to do. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. This may look crazy, but the chart is common in defining relationships of excavated contexts in archaeology. "Context" serves as my unique ID for each record in the table; the table is called "FContexts". When creating a new record, a new Context number i
  8. Hello! I have a list of attributes in a field that are displayed as a checkbox set. Thus, multiple selections can be made for this field. I have updated my value list for this checkbox set in order to refine it for my current needs. The value list change 1) collapses the value list to provide fewer options that someone could select (eliminates vague values leaving only the more precise ones) and 2) updates the wording of the value list to eliminate confusion. I now want to update the responses to this field by using Replace Field Contents: that is, replace entries that were recorded using t
  9. It worked!! You've been ver generous with your time, thank you so much. You have made this lowly phd student's life a million times better. (For the record, I thought the variable name was going to create a folder of that name for the images to go into, which is why I named it so screwy, but now I get how the script works. And I'll play with the way I formatted "Get ( filepath )" to figure out what I was doing wrong there, so that I can dictate a specific folder I want them to go into). I am very happy with the results and can move ahead with my project. But I will throw one final question o
  10. I made your suggested changes, but I am still doing something wrong, getting the same result: only one record is exporting. There are things I don't really understand in the script and that may be contributing to why I am getting the result I am. The script as I have it with your suggestions is included in the screenshots. I don't really understand how the Export Field Contents part of the script works. There are two parts to this, (1) "specify target field" and (2) "specify output file". I have uploaded a screenshot for each. For "specify target field", I chose my image container ("Fotograf
  11. Awesome thank you so much for the quick response! It makes perfect sense: I'll try it now and report back.
  12. Hello! Disclaimer: I have worked with Filemaker for a few years, but I only have experience constructing simple scripts. In the database I am working with, each of my records has an image container field where I enter .jpg files. I need to export these jpgs. Because there are thousands of records, I don't have time to export them one by one by right-clicking the container and choosing "Export Field Contents". I need to find a way to batch export the images from this container for all records. I found this FM forum that seemed promising: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.