Jump to content

DMDewey

Members
  • Content Count

    10
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About DMDewey

  • Rank
    novice
  • Birthday 03/20/1979
  1. I got it. Thanks for the info. I knew I was doing something wrong. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing too many extra steps when I could've done something much simpler. The search script I created will suffice this time, but I'll bookmark this thread just in case I run into a similar problem. BTW...I've used your Timekeeping database as a model for my own time tracking system. I'll have to send you a copy of it for you to check out. It's got a webviewer with a javascript counter to show you the time elapsed.
  2. I guess relating a calculation to a global doesn't work so I made a script to search the inventory and it works how I need it to. Now I just need to make a script to add it the Inventory_Used table.. Is there a better possible way to search the portal? portal_filtering_mod.zip
  3. I've read that portal filtering works by using the relationship so I use a patterncount calculation to take the search string and compare it to the inventory name. It'll return a "1" or more if it is found so I use this calculation field to relate it to a global constant ("1") in another table occurance of the same table. So if the search string is found, then at least a "1" is returned for that field and I use a greater than or equal operator in the relationship. There must be something I'm doing wrong. I don't really know if I'm performing a legal operation.
  4. It's my first time to actually try this. I have an art database with three tables Artwork, Inventory (supplies) and Inventory Used. In the Artwork layout, I'm trying to show two portals: One with all the Inventory items with a search box and the other will have a list of inventory items used to create the art. I'm having a problem searching the portal using a global constant ("1") compared to a pattern count of the search string. I have all three tables related with two extra instances of the Inventory table used to list all of the items and filter them (creating a total of 4 r
  5. Actually it may have been just some fluke or the fact I was using 8.5 advanced up until last week. The webviewer seems to be quicker in v9.0 as well. I tested it and it works BOTH ways. I'm glad I'm wrong because I wouldn't want to have to remember do that for javascript.
  6. Reactor is a plugin that handles interaction with Javascript/Ajax from within a webviewer. I don't like using plugins, but this one works well on Macs. I know its a little jumpy on the Windows platform, but what isn't. It seems FileMaker for Windows was almost an afterthought sometimes. Thanks for that example above, comment, I previously thought that data urls didn't allow anything interactive like javascript, *REMOVED TO AVOID CONFUSING PEOPLE*
  7. I was a PC user since the days of Windows 3.1 and DOS and I recently switched to Mac in 2005. That is how I first got a chance to play around with a demo of FM. I didn't really spend that much time with it because I was too busy getting acquainted with OSX. About six months ago a potential job prospect considered knowledge of FM a plus so I downloaded the trial version (of 8.5) and a couple weeks after that, I purchased FileMaker 8.5 Advanced because I was so delighted with the features - particularly the ability to make cross-platform runtime solutions. Since that time, I've used FM to make a
  8. Yeah.....hopefully FM will fix some of its annoying quirks in v9. Overall, I still prefer FM to MS Access even though the latter is much more mature.
  9. I appreciate the quick reply, LaRetta. Your solution is something similar to what I've tried, but not exactly like that. It is a little bit of a hack, but knowing that is how other people would solve it makes me feel better about using it. You're absolutely right about the unstored field. I deleted it. It was just something I had seen used in FM's built-in "Lending Library". Perhaps I could also just use the field as a button that takes you to another layout to choose the contact (based on certain criteria) and then when a person clicks on a button next to the name, the vender_id field from th
  10. I'm trying to link up two tables with ids without the user ever seeing an id. I have two tables: PRODUCT product_id - number - Auto-enter Serial, Unique product_name - text vender_id - number vender_name - calculation - Unstored, =contact::contact_name CONTACT contact_id - number - Auto-enter Serial, Unique contact_name - text I have a relationship defined as follows: vender_id = contact_id The layout for the product has the name and the vender name (vender_id). The vender name is a dropdown list that uses a value list showing two different fields (contact_id
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.