Jump to content

MinnesotaHam

Members
  • Content Count

    11
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About MinnesotaHam

  • Rank
    novice
  1. I found the answer in an old post here. Create another relationship. Use global key fields in both main and related. Then same sum calc field always finds all records regardless of found set in main table. Concern about update speed noted and appreciated. DB currently has 309 records in main and <600 in related. Main will never exceed 500 and related never exceed 2000. Even this will take years.
  2. Main table is types of vacuum tubes. Related table is ownership of various brands and shapes for each tube type, with a quantity field. Related table has summary field that calcs total of the Quantity field. This total changes as found set in main table changes. Primary layout has records of main table, with portal for related table. On this layout, how can I show total of Quantity field, for all records in main table, even if found set is less than all records ?
  3. Epilogue. After trial and error for days, I have working solution. Perhaps not as refined as expert coders, but it's reliable and useful. As suggested, I combined multiple files into one and use separate tables instead. The main table is a collection of types of tubes. The child table is ownership of individual tubes within each type. As I use an individual tube, I wanted to: 1-note where it went 2-remove from ownership 3-move it to archive, still linked to tube type. 4-simulataneously see ownership and archived tubes by tube type I was not able to elegantly achieve this with se
  4. In the Main file, Tube Name is the primary field. It is a group of different kinds of vacuum tubes. In the Listings file, it shows ownership of these kinds by Tube brand (and other details). As I use a tube one at a time for a repair, I've been reducing the Qty in the Listings to show I have one less available in my stock. What I wish to do is not just show a reduced Qty on hand, but to built a usage history as I reduce the on hand Qty. The usage history will show what radio they went in to, repair date, etc. The goal is to show on hand by kind (Tube Name) and also separately show usage b
  5. Here are two attachments. One is an archive of the files I'm using for my solution. You can ignore all scripts in the "...Listings" file. This file is a clone of the main file where all the scripts came from. The other file is a test file where I could not make some specific Get calcs work. Forgive my lack of courtesy by not attaching sooner. Was thinking I only needed help with specific calcs not guidance on overall design. I was wrong. Dale Saukerson Thanks. TestGet.fp7.zip VacuumTubeDatabase.zip
  6. I understood but didn't believe....thus iterated some details. I'm now doing what I should have done sooner: dig out the manual and peruse the help files more. It's apparent my design needs to change to better use the table concept. But now it has me wanting to see examples of how folks would use these two Get commands in a functioning solution. Thanks for your patience. It is appreciated.
  7. I have them unstored but tried stored as well. I also choose results correctly as appropriate (text/number etc). I mention moving the cursor around to different fields and repeating row to guarantee that a one of them has focus and the calculation field will report something. Example one, I have three fields. Text field named Type, repeating field named Brand, and calculation field defined as GetActiveFieldName. I have all threee fields on a single layout. I'm expecting the calc field to return the name of the field with focus, and to dynamically update if I move the cursor around. E
  8. I do have fields, populated with data. And I do move the cursor around as well. Still can't make it work. I know it's something basic.... The intent is to archive some records by moving from one related file to another related file. I was trying to do this without exporting and importing since I though it would be easier. Regardless, I still need to know what I'm doing wrong with the Get commands. The parent file is types of vacuum tubes. The child file is ownership listings of each type. Example, for type 6X5 tube I may own fifteen different boxed tubes. As I use one of the fi
  9. Not quite a newbie, but have more experience with Version 6 and earlier. I'm able to use portals and relationships OK. Somewhat confused on tables but think I'm OK on this. I have trouble with Get function for calculation fields. I can make broad ones work such as Get Filename, Get Application Version, etc. Some that I can't make work are centered around fields, portals and repeating fields. I suspect my problem is a gap in my basic knowledge of V7. Below are results for my calculations. Hopefully you can spot a pattern and give me a clue. The test file (parent) is
  10. The order in which they are recorded does not matter.
  11. I need to search for 4-8 items that will appear in 4-8 fields, but may appear in any order. Some of the items may be repeats of each other, or they may be unique. The DB is a flat file listing of the vacuum tubes used in antique radios. The DB has a field for the count of tubes, then eight fields for the tube names used. If it is a 4 tube radio, the tube count field will have an entry of 4, then only the first four tube fields will be filled in with data for the tube names. The tube names are alphanumeric but for simplicity I'll use numerals only. Example. I have a five tube radio using t
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.