Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'subsummarise'.
Found 1 result
Hello, I am not sure if this is a tip, or if it is already known. Anyway it has a practical value for me so I thought I post it. Sometimes I need to present data in a layout with several sub-summary parts and usually no body parts I find it good interface, to give the user the ability to click on the only visible sub-summary part and reveal the next part in the hierarchy, and so on... Thus expanding and collapsing the list by clicking on the headers. From what I read in the forums the standard technique for this is to have a global variable to store whether part X is expanded or not. I don't like that method very much so I thought of an alternative. Layout Example Structure Sub-Summary Part1 (based on COUNTRIES::Name) Sub-Summary Part2 (based on COUNTRIES::CityID) Sub-Summary Part3 (based on CITIES::SalesmanID) To the right of the sub-summary part, just off screen we put an instance of the field we are sub-summarizing by. For example, inline with sub-summary Part1 we put an instance of the field COUNTRIES::Name and we name the Object as "Part1" Now if the sub-summary part is visible using the following : GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( "Part1";"source" ) will give us "COUNTRIES::NAME" or if the sub-summary part is not visible will give us error 102 (Field is missing) By looping with a $counter variable through all sub-summary parts (1....n) we can get a list of the visible sub-summary parts (the fields they are based on) Then we can use this information to sort the records anyway we want to. That's it! I think it would be nice if someone thought a way to have the list sorted in the way the parts are presented. Thanks, Dimitrios