Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'text filtering'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Community Forums

  • The New FileMaker Platform
  • Community Resources
    • Community Articles, Tips, & Techniques
    • FileMaker Marketplace Discussions
  • FileMaker Platform
    • FileMaker Interface Features
    • FileMaker Schema & Logical Functions
    • Brain Food
    • Legacy FileMaker Platform Discussions
    • Command Line Data Migration Tool
    • FileMaker Pro Advanced 17
  • FileMaker Go & Mobile Strategies
    • FileMaker Go for iPhone & iPad
    • iBeacon Support
    • FileMaker IOS App SDK
  • FileMaker and the Internet
    • FileMaker DataAPI
    • FileMaker WebDirect
    • Custom Web Publishing
  • FileMaker Server Administration
    • FileMaker Server 17
    • FileMaker Server 16
    • FileMaker Cloud
    • FileMaker Custom SSL Certificates
    • oAuth and External Server Authentication
  • FileMaker Security Management
    • Security Concepts
    • Intellectual Property
  • FMForums Affiliates & Sponsors
    • Productive Computing Support Forums
    • 360 Works Official Product Support Forums
    • Geist Interactive Product Support Forums
    • FileMaker Vendors
    • FileMaker Training Resources
  • FileMaker Classifieds
    • Announcements of FileMaker Product, Services or Resources
    • Classifieds
    • Tools Of The Trade
  • FM Forums Operations
    • FM Forums Feedback & Site News
    • Member Lounge
  • FileMaker Friday Night Chat's Topics


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.


  • White Papers
  • Infographics
  • Samples
  • Solutions
  • FMGo
  • Plug-Ins
  • Tutorials

Product Groups

  • Site Donations
  • Site Advertising

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start







Website URL




OS Version

Found 1 result

  1. Thought I should post an experience I had with using EasySync (which I love by the way), and pasted text containing hidden characters, that can cause an issue with synchronized data. The issue observed :: Upon doing an initial sync, I noticed some fields in the recipient db had text in fields that did not correspond with that in the master database. Looking at the master data, I noticed a "notes" field contained text that looked like it was pasted from another source (in most fields I control the text input, cleaning it to remove things like, formating and spaces and returns at the end of single line data fields). This "notes" text was part of the data that was ending up in fields it should not have been in, so that was where I started. I then copied the text into my favourite text editor (currently TextWrangler), and noticed an upsidedown ? in the spot where line returns should have been, and these were in the spot where the text was breaking up, and ending up in the wrong fields. Using the FileMaker Data Viewer, I pasted the character into a ' Code ( "?" ) ' calculation [ ? = copied/pasted text ], this showed the Value to be 8232. The following calculation ' Substitute ( NoteText ; Char ( 8232 ) ; Char ( 13 ) ) ' when run on the text fixed the problem. All following sync's put the data into the correct fields. Conclution :: The text turned out to have been copied from an email recieved. The ' Char (8232) ' characters were the line returns in the email text. So it would appear some characters can cause undesirable effects in EasySync. I have since put the calculation into a text cleaning function, applied to multiline text fields in the db. It would also be good if anyone with better knowledge of the internal workings of EasySync, could enlighten me (us) to what other characters could cause problems, they could be added to the text cleaning function. Best Regards Mark Chettle Australia

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.